1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop on Bonds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Aug 8, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

She just did a Danica column this week. I was about to read it, but figured I'd fill you guys in as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070808&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

writing irish -- dead on.

I understand what Scoop is trying to say -- I just happen to think that he is wrong.

3. irish to bruh ...

Perhaps the most contrasting posts in the history of the Internet.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The vexing part is this: irish is exactly right. But it isn't good enough to tell people that solidarity or nationalism aren't helpful. They might have to go through the step to see for themselves, otherwise, it will always just feel mixing.

For black people in America, this likely means that they'll have to make their own black nationalist journey. Other people can tell them until they're blue in the face that there is no inherent reward at the end of that path. Won't make a bit of difference.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pretty much. People outside the community won't ever have the credibility. That's just reality.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And those with the right skin color who make the journey on their own, well, they get called another name...

It's a tautology.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's a tautology and a complete mindfuck. No wonder it drives people crazy.

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I don't expect the argument of "it's in the past" to rectify any of the injustices black people were put through -- and are still put through to this day. Anyone who thinks things are hunky-dory nowadays should take a look at a school in a black community: ancient textbooks, overcrowded classes, and so on. The past was horrible and it shouldn't be forgotten, and the present needs a major overhaul.

And yet, in no way does that justify murdering two people (O.J.) or torturing defenseless animals (Vick). Neither of those decisions had anything to do with race. One was jealousy and the other greed/thrillseeking. Not a damn thing to do with the plight of black people.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BTW, despite there being a larger point to discuss, here, I want it clear that Scoop is clearly a complete idiot, as well.

The fact that he thought spending $250 on a Bonds jersey is an act of defiance to the white man pretty much cements that. That money ended up in a white man's bank account, buddy.

Scoop is skin deep, if he ever cuts even that far.

10. captzulu

captzulu Member

Ummm ...

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Question is, is Scoop a gimmick or does he believe what he writes?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know that the two things are mutually exclusive.

I understand why people ask the question, but it ultimately doesn't matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted