1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop Jackson's interview with a BLOG!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It's an e-mail interview. How do we know Scoop even answered the questions for himself?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Actually, it was more the first question:

Instead of merely asking "When you are accused of 'reverse racism,' does it have any meaning to you?" we get some JDV/RokSki-type rambling nonsense in which the blog goes out of its way to curry favor.

The crowner, of course? Leading with "We'll cut right to the chase" immediately before meandering about the countryside in getting to the question.

3. The great Maxwell Perkins, editor to Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Thomas Wolfe etc. etc, always said on a similar topic, "You must kill your darlings."

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I laughed at that, too. He went 150 words after "chase" before getting to the final question mark.

Jesus, I've had stories that weren't a hell of a lot longer.

5. I am now going to consider it my duty to post the old senator's photo on any Scoop thread hereafter, G.

6. sizzle

sizzle New Member

I'm conflicted on Scoop. I grew up loving SLAM and some of his stories in that mag inspired me to become a writer. As a kid I loved how he incorporated pop culture, rap lyrics and cuss word into his stories. Now, I read his Page 2 stuff (rarely) and its almost always the same schtick, over-the-top Stuart Scott like analogies and something to do with race. His column on buying a Bonds jersey I thought was atrocious until the end which just cracked me up. I don't know why in the hell he responded to that NOIS blog in all caps, as well. Basically I think Scoop needs to try something new or "fresh to death" as he might write.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070806

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sizzle, you need a little more steak.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

So he thinks it's on editors to catch his mistakes?
    Hey, windbag, how about taking enough pride in your work to get it right in the first place?

Idiot.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

New as in write something that doesn't play the race card?

10. BINGO! Scoop never really addresses this question. Either that or he thinks people on this board refer to him as "ignorant" because he has too many typos. Personally, I think he's ignorant because his columns are poorly thought out, poorly constructed, poorly written, racist rants that only occasionally make sense and rarely contribute anything to the national dialogue.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

IT'S THE FEELING OF BEING SCAPEGOAT'D BY THE MEDIA, ALMOST TO THE DEGREE THAT WE ARE HELD HELPLESS BY THE MEDIA BECAUSE AN ALTERNATIVE OR COUNTER POINT-OF-VIEW IS NON-EXISTENT OR SILENT. PART OF WHAT I TRY TO DO IS NOT BE A PART OF THAT SPIRAL OF SILENCE; TRY TO GIVE A VOICE TO VOICES OFTEN UNHEARD. SO TO "RISE ABOVE IT," AS YOU SAID, I TRY TO RISE ABOVE IT BY LOOKING TO SEE IF THE TOTAL PICTURE IS BEING PAINTED OR IF THERE'S A PERSPECTIVE TO A STORY THAT'S NOT BEING CONSIDERED.

~Scoop Jackson~

AND THIS IS WHY HE IS READ BY Sportsbruh.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone has to be able to understand him.. .better you than me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.