1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop Jackson vs. Whitlock (round 6)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 29, 2006.

1. I don't think anybody's posted the link to the Scoop Jackson article yet. If so, sorry for the extra post: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/061229

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i gotta defend whitlock on this. a writer has to have a voice and a poetic license - you can't always cram it into familiar pigeonholes - i don't always know exactly what whitlock means but i can appreciate the creative freedom he brings to it -

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i lived in a redneck state, i'd say whitlock surely is the "bitch" in the marriage. but i don't, so i won't.

4. And that differs from Tomming, how?
    And if it's "open to interpretation," then that's the way I interpret it. If you can convince me otherwise, in your spare time between driving nails into your own palms, feel free.

5. I believe I read Jackson's earlier ESPN.com diatribe on Whitlock, but why have they been having this on going print war, and why should their general audience or journalists care about the feud they apparently have?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

That last question has been asked several times and hasn't been answered yet.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The answer is that they have no answer. They like the sight of their own words; that is all.

8. So essentially it's a weird feud that most people outside of this message board don't even talk about?

9. It really is sort of an important issue among African-American writers, and since when did discussing writing styles become something we all shouldn't do. In addition, shying away from topics because "nobody cares" is a short route to not writing anything at all.

10. I agree that we should discuss various writing styles. I'm not as educated on the subject as other people are, so I should just keep my typing out of the thread until I've read more.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whitlock spent too much time at ESPN. The Whitlock of 1996 might never have embroiled himself in this lame tit-for-tat.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pick a side, FB. The only discussion required on "bojangling" is that it's writing worthy of myspace.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted