1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop Jackson: B.J. Upton is a hero to black kids because he is lazy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What about white editors who allowed it and posted it? Or, for that matter, who hired Scoop in the first place?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are editors checking Scoop's stuff? When did that happen?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I don't know........if it was down to those three, I think I'd let Bill live.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Found this on Deadspin.

So there's an apology/clarification/whatever you want to call it as part of Scoop's column.

It's a bullshit justification. I know it's been said already, but a white writer spewing this crap would have already been fired.

EDIT made to clarify that you can get to the clarification from the original column. Yes, IJAG, I want to be fair.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, it's also included as a drop-in box on the column itself. Go click on the link.

EDIT to remove bitchiness.

7. sg86

sg86 Member

Scoop.

But I convince Whitlock to fire the shot.

One dead. One gone.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. When I applied for an editor job at Page 2 they sent me an unedited Scoop column as an editing test. It was horrible and I did a lot of work to make it look like I thought it should. Before sending it back, I looked up the real column and realized that almost none of the things I would have changed were actually changed in the finished product. I didn't know whether to be more like what they actually did or do it how I thought it should be. (Writing back and saying I'd spike it didn't seem to be an option.)

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. Black men employed in positions that require thought and education should never be required to take personal responsibility for their actions, only the white folks who hired them and supervise them should be accountable. After all, those black guys weren't qualified for the job in the first place, it's stupid to hold them accountable for their failure.

11. Is it possible that this was just clumsy writing?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You'd have to establish that he has a history of cogent thought, analytical skills and an aesthetically please writing style in order excuse the above referenced effort as clumsy.

Draft saved Draft deleted