1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop Jackson:Another day in Sin City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070228

I think he made some pretty good points.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't say I agree with him, but at least this is an improvement on that look-at-me bullshit he wrote about the actual event. I just don't think he should be attacking what anybody else wrote about the All-Star weekend when all he contributed was one long, self-fellating, name-dropping piece of crap.

Like what others said or not, at least they said SOMETHING.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One of, if not the best column by Scoop I've read (I know, that's damning with faint praise).

One thing he failed to look at when he was comparing the numbers between All-Star Weekend and New Year's Eve, is that he averaged out the numbers for an entire weekend to come up with 80 arrests per day, which was less than the one night of New Year's Eve. This is a bit misleading.

First off, was there a single night over All-Star Weekend that equaled or surpassed New Year's Eve? Secondly, New Year's Eve took place over a weekend this year. What were the arrest numbers from Friday to Monday?

You really have to compare similar time periods. You can't average out a weekend on one side and compare it to one night on the other.

That said, at least he had a solid opinion and backed it up with some facts in a reasonably coherent manner. Even got in a couple of digs at Whitlock.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've resisted posting on this topic. But I will give scoop one point on the arrest numbers.

So there were 400-plus arrests over that weekend. As soon as I heard the radio screechers saying that, I wanted to know how many arrests Vegas has on any other weekend. My guess is a lot.

And I'm beyond tired of the Whitlock vs. Scoop garbage. It's not about you, children. And no one cares about your personal 'fued.'

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This doesn't rate as a feud.

If it were a fight, they'd stop it.

Scoop knocked himself out, with his original childish screed.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This arrest number has already been put into context: there were 403 MORE arrests made during all-star weekend than a normal weekend. One of the Las Vegas papers reported that 350 people were arrested during a normal weekend. So all-star weekend doubled a normal weekend for crime.

Sounds like there was a problem to me.

7. 403 more?
    So 700-odd arrests?
    Source, pls.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

According to a story on a Vegas TV station's Web site, LVPD averages 400 arrests every 48 hours. All the reports of 400 arrests at ASW do not factor in those "standard" arrests that would have been made anyway.

So, if the TV station's numbers are correct, there were actually 700+ people arrested during ASW.

Edit: Damn, didn't read far enough to see hondo's post.

Edit2: http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=6107862

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

OK, so it's 400 extra arrests.

That's a busy weekend for the Gil Grissom.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As I said on another thread, I think this column is crap. His main point is the media should do diligent research before they write something, but there is not one "fact" in his story that doesn't come from another article.

What diligence did you do, Scoop?

11. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070216

Don't let this bit of pre-All-Star Weekend bojangling contradict Scoop's righteous indignation... Read this column and then ask yourself how the man looked himself in the mirror after writing his latest piece of tripe....

And don't even get me started on the idiot thinking the way to win this argument is by quoting arrests stats. Yeah, that's a winning argument for us. The guy is an embarrassment....

Please read what he wrote beforehand. I know it will be tough, but read his predictions on what will happen in Vegas. But the criticism of All-Star Weekend was racist? Meanwhile, look at the picture he paints of black folks before the weekend even happened.

12. Well, at least there were a few days between different takes on the same event, and not a matter of hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted