1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop calls out Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

My understanding was that he left on his own, calling the NFL a 'stagnant bore.' Either way, to say that nothing has changed in 25 years regarding race relations and media broadcasting, to me, is ludicrous.

Are racist things still uttered on air? Yes. There are more broadcast channels and other media around then there ever has been... you are still going to get people saying insensitive and racist things every so often... that's human nature.

That still doesn't mean there haven't been drastic improvements over the past 25 years...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What's changed? Maybe I've been sleeping too much but I didn't realize we were facing an epidemic of announcers using intentional racist remarks on the air.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think this column reveals that comments aren't harmless, a lot of old wounds haven't healed and some new ones are being created.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm pretty sure he wasn't since he had made the "monkey" comment several times before, about white players...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if she had said "killed" instead of "lynched" there wouldn't be any uproar...

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Taking the condom off with his shoes... it was a brilliant moment from El Tigre.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's called "juvenilization," where black athletes are usually given hokey nicknames (usually by white writers or broadcasters, although not so common any more) as you would a little child.

By implication, by referring to somebody by initials or a juvenile nickname you imply they are less deserving of respect than someone who is addressed by their full name.

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Plus, Cosell had pretty solid bona fides to prove that he wasn't a racist, like his longstanding friendship with Ali. (Wasn't Cosell also active in the civil rights movement? Seem to recall hearing that somewhere)

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Tiger has always let his actions speak for themselves.
    He didn't get into a pissing match with Fuzzy Zoeller, but his coldness to him essentially sent Fuzzy to purgatory for a while.

When Ames shot his mouth off, Tiger kicked his ass on the course.

My guess would be that next time Tilghman tries to fawn an interview, she'll find him either unavailable or a little frosty.

If Tiger was pissed off about the comment, the fact he might not co-operate with Tilghman or even the Golf Channel would have her out on her ass.

Tiger knows how powerful he is, so he doesn't have to speak it.

He's smart enough, and self-assured enough, to know that his profile will attract those idiotic comments likely for the rest of his life, no matter what he says, so what's the point in wasting energy complaining about it.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Why the fuck should I care what Scoop writes about anyfuckinthing?
    Woods is a penis with ears, but if he has no problem with what Tilghman said, then it let the fuck go. Fuck.

(Sorry - listened to "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols on the way home the other night and still marvel at their deft use of the F bombs).

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It must be just an instinctive reaction by now to jump on Scoop, because this is one of his better efforts. (I know, I know, that's not saying much.) He exaggerates in spots, but his overall position is not unreasonable. Woods' reluctance to take a stand on anything remotely controversial does make his father's grand predictions for him seem like a joke. He's not going to change the world -- he's just another carefully packaged, image-conscious celebrity athlete. This lynching thing would have been a perfect opportunity to speak to the issue of race in this country. He didn't have to rip his friend to shreds, but he could have talked about the dangers of using words with such heavy racial baggage, or encouraged us to look beyond words and judge intent, or expressed whatever views he may have. He could have said something, anything, substantive instead of having some mouthpiece say it's a "non-issue." It's not a non-issue. It has people talking about race in America and Tiger, once again, has proven that he doesn't even want to be part of that discussion. That is certainly his right, but considering the lofty social impact he was expected to have, it's kind of disappointing. I don't think Scoop is off-base in pointing that out.

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

You mean like Ichy, Raooool, Richie, Boonie for cry-yi...

I think we're reaching again.

Draft saved Draft deleted