1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop calls out Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I must be living in a cave, because this is the first I've heard of the lynching comments... I'm stunned she escaped with only a suspension, even though she was obviously kidding...

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've heard the same thing about Tiger's dealing with the fans, especially. He was a major tool when he was younger, though how many of us weren't?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't even think she was kidding. I think she just didn't realize what she was saying until after the fact. I think someone (Double Down?) said Kelly was probably mortified when she realized what she said. Her apology, and suspension, is enough, IMO.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

A couple of his points stood out to me:

If he looks at the recent history of broadcast insensitivity -- especially involving figures in sports -- he'll realize isolated incidents can't continue to happen "on occasion" for 25 years. Not at this pace. He'll see the connection to insensitive remarks from Howard Cosell, Al Campanis, Marge Schott, John Rocker, Imus and countless others.

He'll realize -- regardless of what we'd like to think -- not a damn thing has changed.

Really? Nothing has changed since the days of Cosell, Campanis and Schott? Really?

He'd realize a friend invoking the word "lynch" -- even when there is no ill intent or ill will behind it -- is bigger than him. He'd realize this is a problem bordering on an epidemic, and no one has really done anything to stop it.

This has become a near epidemic? Really?

I'm glad he didn't resort to hyperbole to make his point... ::)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's changed in regards to announcers making racist comments on the air?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

John Rocker and Marge Schott weren't announcers, so they aren't even an apt part of the analogy. And of the recent example, Imus generally was regarded as an ass before he made his comment.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I completely agree with 93D...

Ryno = nickname. The Babe = nickname. The Mick = nickname.

It's one thing to call Magic, Magic. It's another thing to call Jordan Jordan, without at least saying MJ, which was his nickname. That shit drives me nuts about Scoop.

Damnit, see now I'm doing it.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

TSP - Was Howard Cosell suspended for his misinterpreted comment?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like your previous ideas about Jackson are creeping in there, not that he hasn't earned it. Just makes me understand where twoback was coming from, though I'm sure you actually did read the column before commenting. I can't see you doing otherwise.

I do disagree with the suggestion that he has to have some special relationship with Woods to call him out. Woods of course can ignore him, which I'm sure is exactly what he'll do, but there is nothing wrong with a columnist calling out an athlete for his response to something like this.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He wasn't on MNF the next season.

And people are still making racist comments in the media. Or stupid comments, however you want to put it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

First, I hate Tiger Woods for being a jerk to fans on the course. That said, where is the rule that requires famous athletes to be social activists? Or, be social activists in a prescribed way? Where is the requirement that Tiger respond to perceived racial slights in any way other than the one he chooses? I'd submit that neither Scoop nor any of us has a right to tell TW how to live his life.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WFW

Draft saved Draft deleted