1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop calls out Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Does it matter to Scoop that Tighman obviously had no racist intent when she made the unforgiveable error of using the word "lynch" in a sentence and has apologized? And that maybe the reason Tiger's declined to attack her and create "Imus Affair 2" might be because he's aware that it was basically just a case of really poor word choice?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where does Scoop call for Tiger to attack Tighman?

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Clearly not. But we must be sanctimonious at all costs.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the future, always go with "bludgeon" rather than lynch or gas or nuke. It's still scary and threatening, but generic.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does it matter to anonymous message board posters that Scoop does not call for Tiger to attack Tighman?

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Actually, this is the most lucid and thoughtful column I've ever seen from Scoop. Of course, recognizing this requires reading beyond the byline.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I made no comment in the initial post about Scoop's writing ability or his past writing missteps.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And just because you didn't mention those things means you didn't take them into account in your evaluation of this column?

9. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

No, just make some stupid-ass speech about tolerance and watching your word choice because a friend of his made a stupid-ass remark that she apologized for immediately. Jesus.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He was making a joke on "poorly written."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I've dealt with him about five times over the years and always found him to be a dick to the media, other golfers, and worst of all, fans... I know plenty of people who like him, but that's my opinion based on my dealings with him...

After reading Scoop's column, I would have to side with Tiger on this one... Nothing good can come out of him responding to a stupid comment like that, so why bother?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

My evaluation of this column is that it serves no point, other than letting Scoop continue to fashion himself as an emerging voice for Black America. His advice is not only inappropriate, in that I'm willing to bet he doesn't have the kind of relationship with Tiger to demand this of him, but also completely unrealistic. If he wants Tiger to say those words that badly, let him apply to be his publicist.

And yes, I realize part of a columnist's job is to provoke thought. But this doesn't do that. This is Scoop again throwing shit at a wall to see if it sticks. Punt.

Draft saved Draft deleted