1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop calls out Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That article is not poorly written.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, Mr. Jackson is wealthy, or at least comfortable.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Of course there are fewer white athletes who are known by first names ... there are fewer white standout athletes!

What are you implying, anyway? That because we use nicknames that we are somehow degrading them? Get a life. All athletes are commodities that we exploit to some degree. To act as if Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods are not respected athletes or are thought of less because of nicknames ... that's just stupid.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wealth was not previously mentioned.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, being as the only people that actually do buy Buicks are retirees, I would guess that the racist market still needs to be tapped.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Scoop makes some points. He's waiting for Tiger to take a stand on something. I think he's going to be waiting a long time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE6D91431F937A3575BC0A967958260
    "Mr. Miller cited the long history of whites' using only first names to address blacks, who as slaves did not have last names."

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/co2/CO2_book/Lp14.htm

Maybe I was taught this in education calsses, but I know I heard or read somewhere calling someone by their first name only is not correct.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So I guess NFL announcers referring to Ben Roethlisberger as simply "Ben" means they're racist.

9. 93Devil

It means they are too lazy to say Roethlisberger, but I have been taught this first name thing before. I cannot remember where, though.

I know I'm getting the SportsJournalists.com whipping on this, but I know I have heard it before.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It might depend on the situation.

Calling celebrities and athletes by their initials and first names certainly doesn't fit. Especially when those celebrities and athletes are marketing themselves by just one name or their initials.

11. 93Devil

True.

Good point.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Michael Jordan is referred to as Jordan.
    Kobe Bryant is referred to as Kobe.

Jordan is far less common than Michael and is the reason there. Kobe isn't a very common name and thus gets used.

Derek Jeter is referred to as Jeter.
    Gary Sheffield is referred to as Sheffield.
    Michael Strahan is referred to as Strahan.
    Shawn Merriman is referred to as Merriman.
    Jason Kidd is referred to as Kidd.

It really goes by how common the names are. Iverson is the one that pushed the whole "AI" thing. Richard Jefferson has "RJ" tattooed on his arm.

This really is a non-starter.

Draft saved Draft deleted