1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop calls out Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It appears one of SportsJournalists.com's favorite columnists has a problem with Tiger Woods not speaking out about Kelly Tilghman's "lynching" comment. Here's to hoping Tiger does speak out, by telling Scoop to mind his own business.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/080111&sportCat=golf

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Would it be inconsiderate and ill-considered of me to say this guy is a complete fucking idiot?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who cares about racism? Tiger has made the world a better place by lowering inflation.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nah, you'd fit right in on this board. And I agree with the sentiment.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

So Tiger gets taken to task for taking the high road? Hmmmmm ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Couple problems:

1. Why should Tiger be taken to task for the grandiose statements by his father?

2. You could easily make the case that Tiger has helped society -- even if he is not speaking out here -- by being such a lightning rod that the statements generated widespread condemnation.

3. (Tiger could have a little more personality, but that's his business).

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Racists buy Buicks too.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think Tiger has plenty of personality, which he showed in Charlie Pierce's piece. I just think his agent or someone at Nike told him to reel it in, and that's a shame.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but it would be redundant

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well ... I wasn't gonna blame Charlie Pierce but ...

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1. He shouldn't. But Scoop needed something, no matter how weak, on which to hang his argument.

2. I'd help make that case. Unless he was really pissed off, all his words would do is make him look like Al Sharpton with a much better golf game.

3. While he can sometimes take it to an extreme, it's times like this that it's tough to blame him for wanting his privacy. I still don't think he's a fraction as soulless as Michael Jordan.

(Now I'll get labeled Tiger's apologist, but I'll live with it. Bombs away ... )

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, no, no, no, no, my friend. I'm not blaming Charlie Pierce at all. I'm blaming either Nike or his agent, and, to a degree, Tiger himself for basing his public persona on what will offend the fewest amount of people.

EDIT: I will stipulate, in Tiger's case, him wanting privacy probably has merit in how he presents himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted