1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

scoop at the nba finals

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I believe it was the bully quote:

“You ever go to school and you have that bully mess with you every day?” he said. “You know when you get out of your mom or dad’s car that you’re going to have to see him as soon as you walk through the door and he’s going to be sitting there with his feet up waiting to pat your pockets.

“Then one day you say to yourself, ‘It’s going to stop tonight.’ You walk through there and as soon as he pats your pocket you lay his (butt) out. You see the expression on his face and you’re sort of kind of shook because you know what, you just knocked the bully out and you don’t know how he’s going to come back.

“So the next morning you come in and he’s not there, and it’s like a sigh of relief.”

That's from John Tomase's story in the Herald.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was gagging through the whole question, but he got the best answer of the night ... from anyone. Hard to knock the guy when he made many stories better with that question, however sycophantic it might have been.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'll give him props for getting the answer, and I don't have any problem with him and KG apparently being boys. The thing I took issue was the way he worded the question basically insulting the rest of the media present saying they don't get it, etc.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If the media is "they" to Scoop Jackson, that means he's not on our side, which is exactly the way I like it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing scoop didn't understand the answer because I doubt he ever considered handling the bully any way other than handing over his X-men lunch box.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm no Scoop fan, but this isn't half bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/080618&sportCat=nba

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe casper stopped by.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I gotta admit. He nailed that one. A well done piece. Considering Scoop sometimes has trouble putting together a cogent sentence, I have to say that's the best piece of his I've read (not that I read a lot of his work).

(Although, if I may nitpick, KG said more to Russell than "I got my own." He also said, "I hope we made you proud," which I actually think is a quote that would have fit better in this piece.)

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That was far better than expected, I was going to say so earlier but I didn't know if I liked it just because I like Garnett. I went expecting him to make the story about him asking that question and about him and Garnett being boys but he limited that stuff and made the story about Garnett. I'll give credit where it's due.

Draft saved Draft deleted