1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop as ball. Discuss.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Dec 1, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've never liked the whole inanimate objects speaking bit. It's probably a backlash from growing up reading those columns every freakin' year by Furman Bisher and that generation in which they interviewed the horses heading into the Kentucky Derby. It's contrived and ridiculous and 99.999 percent of the time it comes out sounding just plain stupid.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The douchebags at ESPN.com just updated sportsbruh's column and credited YAYsports.

BLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. good column. way too long. but a good column. i only made it halfway..... big improvement on the ben wallace/headband mess.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Cavalier" apparently thinking that "orange roundie" is the apotheosis of modern thought:

“Special props go out to us for the "orange roundie", which we sat back and laughed out loud at. It was one of those things you read and say, "Man...I wish I had thought of that."Then when you realize you did? No better feeling, man. Nothing better than that. It's the best. There are things that happen, but none exceed the feeling of said event.” -- The Cavalier, http://www.yaysports.com; 17 May 2006

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen, brother. Big Brother is watching, for sure.

Do we get a Michael Irvin-esque apology from Scoop?

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I have to say I missed that column. So if that employed a different style than his NBA preview column and this 'ball' column, I have to qualify my remarks on his present style to only include these 2 columns I got to read.

Oh, and J-Dub, your #2 in the AOL column was some damn fine stuff. Very well fleshed-out.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good point. That reads like the self-fellating here over the Charlie Brown thread and the Notre Dame hotdog.

8. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Well, for what it's worth -- and as a loyal YaySports reader -- They have been calling the ball "Orange Roundie" for months. And working it into most of their blog posts. And they gave it a personality. And they filmed short videos of it breaking down each division in the NBA.

So whether it's good, funny, too long, bad or stupid, a column on ESPN.com written in the voice the "Orange Roundie" isn't the most original idea.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I didn't realize they had made this orange roundie nonsense a long-running thing, which then makes Scoop look bad, except he wrote to deadspin and said he was doing an homage of sorts and editing cut the shout-out, well, out.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

"A Web site" = they're not big enough for me to mention, and small enough for me to exploit.

ESPN shouldn't even have let him use a name he didn't come up with on his own. He's paid a lotta money to write commentary that doesn't rely on another source for a catchphrase.

Happens, folks. All the time. Bigger corporations eat ideas for lunch, and will only cop if caught. The problem is...they're big. You can't catch everything.

The column itself...it's okay. Jackson, marginally, is improving. Getting called to the mat was a positive thing, regardless of how it was done. It should take him out of the vacuum he was living in.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Figures. ESPN never misses a chance to miss a chance . . .

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I seem to remember an incident back on the old Sportspages message board where someone accused Scoop of plagiarism (stealing quotes, I think) while he was at SLAM, and Scoop came on and admitted that, yes, he had taken the quotes, yes, he had been punished by the magazine, and now it was in the past, so fuck off, person who was plagiarized. I know I didn't dream this, but perhaps Sportsbruh can SET me STRAIGHT if he HAPPENS to show UP. Yo.

Draft saved Draft deleted