1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop Accuses SI of Racism and Wonders if D-Mac is hurt by N.O. Game (Updated)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Oct 11, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Scoop Accuses SI of Racism

Because it gives us a chance to bash him and its what we collectively do best :D

2. Re: Scoop Accuses SI of Racism

YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE? NO WAY! THAT IS CLEARLY A MISIDENTIFICATION...WOW.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Point taken. I probably should have seen that response coming. ;)

4. Re: Scoop Accuses SI of Racism

Probably just some really shitty cutline writing. It's not like it says Satchel Paige, left, with Roger Clemens, was left off the list. Hell, they don't even identify Clemens properly.

5. Re: Scoop Accuses SI of Racism

Naturally, he also screws up his facts even when it would support his case. A-Rod is not a foreign-born player. He was born in New York and grew up in Miami.

I think the omission of Bonds is far more glaring, but it's pretty obvious why that happened. The actual "math" on him is more convincing than anyone's short of Ruth, Mays and Aaron.

EDIT: Oh, they corrected the A-Rod reference, and noticed that Rivera is actually the only Latin-American born player on the list. Yesterday's version was different.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonderful thing about the web. It makes revisionist history so much easier.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The introduction to this piece, written by Tom Verducci, is, in its entirety, a disclaimer.

It is an explanation of how imprecise and fungible these choices are, and of the weird marriage of art and science baseball brokers in the American heart and mind, and of how the very design of the photo illustration is meant to stimulate argument.

The picture is an occasion for debate.

That great African-American and Latin players are underrepresented is a perfectly valid observation.

In fact, it's a hanging rhetorical curveball.

Scoop swings.

And misses.

8. Re: Scoop Accuses SI of Racism

I wonder if he was drinking the Un-Cola while reading this.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

I wish Mr. Jackson,a professional writer, would explain to amateurs the rules of spelling that determine whether or not a hyphen is used in a word that begins with "un." I find his usages uncanny, even un-usual, though, it should go un-said, not unexpected.

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I would tell Scoop ya'll talking about him - but he's toooo busy to be bothered.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You post better than Scoop writes.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hell, that's not saying much. Even d_b posts better than Scoop writes

Draft saved Draft deleted