1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientologists Flock To F-L-A

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 25, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jays spring training facility is in nearby Dunedin.

Maybe this explains Ricciardi.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How do you know? Those scientologists are sneaky. They look just like you and me. They even talk the same. The best way to weed out the scientologists is to ask a local if they know any good pyschiatrists. If they tell you that pyschiatry is all a scam, punch them in the nuts and run away.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Code:
    Which best describes the Church of Scientology?
    It's a cult	79%
    It's neither	16%
    It's a religion	6%
    Total Votes: 90,330

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One thing always struck me about the Phillies complex (this was mid and late 90s) as opposed to the Yankees, which are nearby in Tampa. In Tampa, everything was first class and they had security guards all over the place checking your credential and generally being pains in the asses, because everyone was always afraid of a Steinbrenner sighting (this was when he was still somewhat sharp, tyranical and around when you least expected him). Then you'd drive over to Clearwater and the Phillies facilities were right out of the movie Major League (after the owner decided the players were too 'coddled'). Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe visiting teams used to ride the bus in their uniforms because there was no place to change. I remember commenting once, after having been at the maximum-security Tampa complex and then driving over to Clearwater, that there was nothing stopping me (or anyone really) from walking into the Phillies clubhouse, putting on a uniform, walking out to the field and shagging some flies. It was that low-key and not much more complicated than a high school locker room and field entrance. Were my perceptions wrong?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The first spring training game I ever attended was in Clearwater in the early 80s. Don't remember who the Phillies played but it was so crowded that they set up a rope line on the edge of the warning track in left field and we wound up sitting out there. Still remember the crushed sea shell warning track.

And yeah, Clearwater had a pretty nice beach back in the day plus, by Florida standards, it wasn't really built up. It had it's share of high rises but it wasn't out of control. Don't know if that's still the case.

6. I think you need to be clear, AQB.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Judging by the thread title, maybe the Scientologists want to take a walk on the wild side.

8. Thanks, Bat.
    I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that.
    Doot-doo-doot-doo-doot....

Draft saved Draft deleted