1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientologists Flock To F-L-A

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 25, 2007.

1. http://news.aol.com/story/_a/florida-city-mecca-for-scientologists/20070924162709990001

Gator fans or the 'Noles?
    You make the call.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're being a suppressive person, Fenian. Expect a phone call shortly.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Get thee behind me, Thetan!

4. Xenu has my back, Doc.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well shit. I forgot you were an OT IX.

Kneel before Xenu!

6. My inner clam is holding me back.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That area is my hometown, and it's freaky as hell walking around there. Sometimes you just want to grab people by the shoulders, shake them and scream "it's all a scam! Are you too stupid to see that!"

There's an outlet mall in Sarasota (about 45 minutes away) where passers by are encouraged to take a "stress test." What they don't tell you is that it's one of their e-meter thingies.

I keep telling myself that the next time they ask me if I want a stress test I'll say, "Do I look like a fucking idiot?" Next time I'll just shout, "Hail Xenu! Hail Xenu!".

Also, I was looking for work in the area (outside the sportswriting biz) and I found a job that looked pretty good. On the about us section, the business said they followed the economic principals of L. Ron Hubbard. Scratch that one.

8. Holy cow.
    Between that and Crazy Catholic Guy's personal town, fringe religion seems to be a growth industry in Florida.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let me know when the Mensa members flock to Florida, please. I could be a Florida resident if I wanted to, you know?

This is a bit scary. I haven't been to Clearwater in a few years, but I always liked that town for some reason.

10. Always had a good time at spring training there, as Clearwater passed the only real test of a good spring training town -- it wasn't Winter Haven.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have always enjoyed Clearwater Beach. One of my favorite Florida beaches. Can't say I ran across any Scientologists there.

Or at the dog track.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was in vacation in Florida a couple years ago. Went to Clearwater for a bit, I really enjoyed it, but I always felt there was something odd about the place.

I didn't go to spring training there, but it does seem like it would be a good spring training town-I mean, it's no Fort Myers, that's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted