1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schreiber out as ESPN ombudsman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought she was great and she did about a 100X better job than Solomon did.

Did ESPN listen to her? Not a word...

For the most part, the talent there is told not to pay attention to that stuff.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have not watched Sportscenter in years.

ESPN News is about the most I can handle, and if I could find The Final Score (is that what it's called?) in HD, I would never watch ESPN News.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN News is generally all I can handle as well... I used to watch ESPN several hours a day. Now I barely watch it.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. Maybe a few minutes while I'm getting ready for work, and perhaps a few minutes when I get home from work. I'm usually on the treadmill when NFL Live is on, so I'll catch that as well. Either that or King of Queens on Tibbus. :)

5. 93Devil

If you only watch 15 minutes of Sportscenter, you are barely getting through the NYC/Boston/Dallas/Lakers crap.

At least with ESPN News, you are getting about 10 different game highlights.

6. JackReacher

If I don't like what's on during my few minutes of ESPN each day, I turn the channel. And, I'm a Lakers fan. I don't mind the "Lakers crap."

7. 93Devil

But a lot of it is just made up topics so they can talk about the Lakers. You can substitute Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys and a few other for Lakers.

Tonight on Sportscenter - Kobe's nemesis.

Story - Kobe shot 12-for-31 the last time he played the Trailblazers, so naturally, Roy is him "nemesis."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

I'm guessing you have no interest in those teams so, uh, don't watch, I guess.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

My teen-aged son asked about two moths ago why is every NBA game on WWL involve either the Lakers, Suns, Spurs, Celtics or Cavs? Watch the schedule they promote and he's right.

Just like in baseball. I swear, judging from ESPN, the Red Sox-Yankees play 152 games a year. And even Michael Wilbon has said, outside of the Northeast, nobody cares.

Schreiber did a great job I think.The last column is right on the mark And I'm sure completely scoffed at by the turds making the decisions.

Side note, my The Mag subscription finally ran out about three months ago -- I tried to get rid of it a year ago but they offered me something like 25 cents an issue for a year, so I caved -- but now I'm free. When they call up with new offers, I tell them, but I DON'T WANT IT, that's WHY I didn't re-up.

And I still miss Nick and Fred from CNN Sportsnight, killed off about 7-8 years ago.

10. 93Devil

When there is legitimate news, I will listen. But 80 percent of what they report about the Yankees for example, is fabricated crap.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Good column. Schreiber did a great job.

Draft saved Draft deleted