1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schreiber out as ESPN ombudsman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She did a two-year stint, no word on who (if anybody) is replacing her.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3983722

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think that was all she was contracted for, as Soloman was before her.

I thought She did a terrific job, whoever replaces her has a template on how this should be done.

But the question remains did ESPN really listen to what she said, and will it listen to whomever will replace her?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've read plenty, and LAS did the best sustained job of any ombundsman at any publication I've ever read.

During her entire stint, I think she turned out one dud. ONE.

Remarkable.

Standing O, from me.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was an outstanding final column, and yet leaves me a little depressed over the inevitable conclusion:

We recognize the problem. And we recognize the causes of the problem. And we may not be able to fix it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria is dancing on his desk said ESPN would make an effort to try harder.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I can't count how many times I caught myself nodding along as I read it. Completely in touch with how I, and judging from their feedback, my friends felt. Great work, LAS.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Other than the word "taproot" growing on me like oh-so-many ESPN talking heads fellating Duke/Yankkes/Red Sox/Favre/Tebow, well done... take a bow, ma'am. You've earned it

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I believe the WWL announced earlier this quarter it would attempt to trim about 200 positions, many of those being current vacancies that would not be filled.

I doubt if the ombud will be replaced. Damn shame LAS won't return. She was, and is, a good one.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great column.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Put it this way: Before Schreiber, SportsCenter would always be predictable. No matter what the top story was overnight, it was like "But first, here's more NBA because we have the contract, we love the stuff and we want to shove it down your throats!"

SportsCenter is now not as predictable. It's still nowhere near the golden days, but if there's a big college basketball game the anchors won't hesitate to lead off with it. I about crapped my pants when Netherlands-Dominican Republic baseball was the lead item.

I hope they don't go back to old habits.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Here's a cheery thought: This is one job in our business that seems to be open every couple years. Maybe we can all take turns being the ESPN omsbudsperson.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Umm, fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted