1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schools with Devil mascots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wasn't one of Jerry Tarkanian's sons the head coach at AVC? I never cared until Rider was at UNLV and I remember the crowd at the Big West Conference tournament at Long Beach Arena chanting "PMS" at Rider, in reference to a women's health class he took to stay eligible at UNLV.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ah yes, George Tarkanian. He was an assistant coach at AVC until 1992, when he went to Chaffey College and took two of AVC's prize recruits with him. This created an entertaining rivalry between the two conference powers for most of the mid and late 1990s that I got to chronicle in detail.

Before one of their games, I did a huge story on Tarkanian. Two weeks later, one of AVC's assistants comes up to me after a game in Ridgecrest and asks me why I did the story.

"George is a snake," he said.

That season culminated with AVC beating Chaffey in overtime to go to the state playoffs for the first time in 30-plus years.

This was about as entertaining and interesting as community college basketball gets.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Cato-Meridian (NY) Blue Devils
    Moravia (NY) Blue Devils
    Veron-Verona-Sherrill (NY) Red Devils.

If you go to one of Cato's rival gyms, they have every mascot up on the wall and the Cato Devil looks positively G-A-Y.

Draft saved Draft deleted