1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schoolkids love smelling, hate showering (naked, in school, in front of peers)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember having square dancing in elementary school. Hated it because I liked sports, and it was really awkward once fifth and sixth grade came around. Girls didn't want to dance with the guys, and vice versa.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you don't want to participate in gym, you may walk in circles around the track in my district.

NCLB doesn't give a shit about PE.

And no one takes a shower anymore in PE or after most high school practices . There are 500 gallon water heaters ready to go, and not a drop of hot water ever comes out of them.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

We had hardcore PE virtually every day in my high school in the 70s, and never once did I dress out before or shower after. Didn't have much effect on the rest of the day. Even after athletic practices I would just don my street clothes and head home.

As a side note, PE, art and music are the LAST things that should be removed from the schools.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In real life, of course, they are the first to go.

The white-haired doddering geezers screaming about their taxes don't want to hear about music, art and PE. In fact they don't want to pay for anything of course, but if they absolutely must, it must be the readin'-ritin'-'rithmetic they learned so well in their days as academic superstars back in the 1950s.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We had mandatory showering in junior high gym class (girls were optional).

I remember one of the behavior-challenged kids pissing all over other guys in the shower one day.

The next day, after word got around that Shane pissed on a couple of kids, everyone was in the shower when Shane walked in. All at once, everyone races out of the shower at the same time. One kid slipped and fell on his back, right on top of another kid. Both, of course, were buck naked.

God I hated junior high PE.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just curious, do the people who were nervous of showering as kids, does it still bother you to shower in a gym setting?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Not at all.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If they had combined gym class with lunch, you could have saved some time.

[​IMG]

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't make fun of never nudes, dude.

[​IMG]

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Dodge ball in PE used to be with those rubberized or vinyl red balls. We called them "cherry bombs." Now, they throw sponge balls in dodge ball.
    Like the Pennsylvania governor said, we've become a nation of wusses.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I noted something to this effect on one of the fitness threads. I read an article about "The Biggest Loser," and how the show actually makes people - gasp! - sweat their fucking asses off to lose the weight. And, of course, it's "controversial."

Every damned other article I read practically tells people that they shouldn't work hard, but instead walk 10 minutes a day for two days a week, and expect miracles. (Hyperbole on my part, but not my much)

Nobody ever wants to experience physical discomfort in any way, shape, or form.

Then I read Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken," about what prior generations were going through in WWII, and it's like, "Oh my God, we are absolutely fucking pathetic. Pathetic."

Sorry. Off track. But I just hate how adverse we are, as a country, to discomfort and hard work.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Amen, Whitman.
    And it's why we are a society in decay...."We just want to be happy."
    And why I laughed hysterically mere months after 9/11 after the comparisons of post 9/11 society to the Greatest Generation of the 40s.

Draft saved Draft deleted