1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schoolkids love smelling, hate showering (naked, in school, in front of peers)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I assume that 99 percent of all former students - even star athletes, even those who were, um, physically blessed - have some horror stories about school showers. Today's generation doesn't have to worry about the horror of stripping and showering in front of classmates. They prefer to stink.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-florida-students-shower-in-school-20110102,0,1592543.story

God I wish we would have had this option. We had the stereotypical teacher who stood by the showers, making sure every last naked teenage boy trotted in after gym class. An unfortunate kid named Mike suffered the indignity of being nicknamed Boner after one gym class. I'm sure he's been in therapy for the past 20 years.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't remember much peeping going on. Or any talk about how well endowed or poorly endowed anyone was. Too much homophobia for that.

However, I definitely know that if you had so much as an ounce of fat on your body, it was open season for the rest of junior high.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always thought gym was crazy.

Spend 15 minutes changing then taking roll, 15 minutes running around, 15 minutes showing, changing, shoving freshmen into lockers.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't remember any making a big deal about showering after high school gym class or whatever. We got dressed, played whatever sport was on the docket for that day, showered, got dressed and went about our day.

We had 90-minute classes when I was in school, though, so showering was definitely necessary.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"Mr. Buzzcut wants us to say hi to somebody named Gene!"

6. Dick Whitman

There's always been a weird double standard between the genders about this sort of thing. I remember at my high school, the boys bathrooms didn't have doors on the stalls. The girls bathroom was a wonderland, though.

Same thing in college. The freshman boys dorm had community showers. The girls dorm had private stalls.

Because, apparently, boys don't have body image issues?

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They don't even have showers at my son's California middle school.

He has first period PE, so he wakes up, takes a shower, goes to school and runs around for 40 minutes, stinking for the rest of the day.

There are two smells for middle school boys -- sweat stank or too much Axe deodorant spray.

8. Dick Whitman

I remember having horrible diarreah the day of the Rodney King trial that I had to battle all day long, lest the entire school know that "Dick Whitman was taking a shit!!!!!!1122111!!"

Gym class, obviously, was the worst.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Our showers were broke. The only ones which worked were in the boys basketball locker room and those were off limits. So, um...you brought extra deodorant and tried to wash up as best as you could. :-[

In any instance, we were only given three minutes to change at the start and close of the gym class period.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I took my shower and got out. Never a problem.

I wonder if girls started getting shower stalls after Porky's came out.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Maybe after Carrie.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

In my Catholic junior high, there was one locker room, two PE's — boys went first, then girls. A buddy of mine famously got suspended for hiding in a locker after our gym class, trying to get a peek.

Ah, teenage hormones. The nuns were not pleased.

Draft saved Draft deleted