1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School T-Shirt Wars, Part MCXLVI: Kids can't wear U.S. flag shirts on May 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, May 6, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Be interesting to know exactly what rights of the Mexican kids were being violated by other kids wearing American flag shirts. If the American flag is so offensive shouldn't it be banned from school property every day? I mean we don't want to offend the sensibilities of these delicate little flowers.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No problem, but some people might take this the wrong way...

You are smart and stand by your opinion, but man, can you be abrasive.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Why do I have the feeling that so many here who are happy the boys were sent home would be outraged if Mexican-American students would have been sent home for wearing a shirt with the Mexican flag on it?

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Dammit... when will Law_Student be done bowling?

5. Trouser_Buddah

And here I was just starting to miss Hondo... :)

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They should be allowed to do that as well.

7. old_tony

Hey, I know what state you're from. You never, EVER!, rush someone on their bowling night. :D :D :D

8. old_tony

You know what the really sad part is? That you know full well the hypothetical scenario will never happen, yet you're not at all bothered that this scenario actually did happen.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If there was some sort of designated 'American Heritage Day', then yeah, I would be unhappy if a Mexican kid was sent home for wearing a shirt.

I have no problem if the Mexican-Americans want to celebrate their holiday. But that doesn't give them the right to start telling others that they can't wear their own flag shirts. And if the administration was feeling like there was going to be threats, then they needed to nip it in the bud right away. Call an impromptu assembly, get all the kids in the auditorium, and tell them that the first kid who picks a fight gets expelled.

I'm Jewish, and every year, I'd see Christmas decorations around school. Didn't bother me, as long as there was some sort of Hanukkah symbol as well (Kwanzaa wasn't really established yet). Yet, I still remember feeling upset when my mom had to fight my third-grade teacher tooth and nail to get a Hanukkah song into the school Christmas play. Teacher finally relented after the principal twisted her arm.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Speaking of hypotheticals, I don't believe I've even stated an opinion on this topic. How you know what does and doesn't bother me is rather incredible.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not to change the subject, but isn't there some code about proper display of the flag (don't let it touch the ground, dispose of badly worn flags by burning them, etc.) that I learned about in grade school that said the flag should not be worn as clothing ot something like that?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well you just killed the wardrobe of 86 percent of the Elementary School teachers on Columbus Day. American Flag knit sweaters, American flag sweatshirts and American Flag long sleeve oxfords. Hope you're fuckin' happy. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted