1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School T-Shirt Wars, Part MCXLVI: Kids can't wear U.S. flag shirts on May 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, May 6, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you don't think that the unrest in Arizona has anything to do with this? That is your stance on this?

And you think the Democrats are the ones behind this infringment of rights? Just want to be straight on this.

2. 93Devil

If you allow this right be taken away from students, what is the next right you are willing to give up?

If you allow the line to be redrawn over and over, I don't think you will like where it will end up being drawn.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd like somebody to get parents of a few of the Hispanic kids on record as to how the feel about the assumption that their kids would riot at the sight of white kids wearing an American flag shirt.

The principal essentially called these kids uncontrollable thugs. Seems a bit racist to me.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not about the flag itself, not about race.

It's about a group of dudes deliberately trying to start shit at school (the bandannas were a dead giveaway, for those attempting to go Devil's Advocate here. Bandannas aren't exactly stylish for high school boys in San Francisco).

Your passion is noteworthy. Your conclusions are not.

Teenage boys don't need cosmic reasons to be a-holes.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Everyone knows they were trying to be jerks. You don't have to keep pointing it out. Some of us think that freedom of speech should extend to teenagers being jerks at school.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to teenagers trying to start shit at school.

Surely I don't have to go through the whole "Congress shall make no law . . ." aspect, right?

Uptight principal can stop whatever he or she feels is a possible problem.

7. 93Devil

Teenagers follow what they see, and they can be assholes about almost anything. They decided to allegedly harass Hispanics.

8. 93Devil

No they cannot. There are a shit load of Supreme Court rulings that will back this up.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Supreme Court rulings that say a school principal cannot step in when they feel there's a potential problem?

OK, I'm ready to stand corrected.

List them.

EDIT: Never mind.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BUE/is_1_140/ai_n21092910/

So the kids and their mommys and daddys should take this to the Supreme Court, then.

"My son has the right to attempt to provoke others at school!"

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know that. But it should.

Although it's a little more complicated than you are making it out to be. The fact that the principal wanted to avoid what he thought might be trouble doesn't automatically make it allowable restriction of speech, and the fact that they wanted to say it doesn't automatically mean it is protected.

11. Piotr Rasputin

I understand that. But I also think an administrator has to have the power to see this type of "speech," and put a stop to it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So I'm assuming you're all ok with the principal treating the Mexican kids as if they are all a bunch of uncontrollable thugs.

Draft saved Draft deleted