1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School T-Shirt Wars, Part MCXLVI: Kids can't wear U.S. flag shirts on May 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, May 6, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't care if that was their intent. It still should fall within their rights to be a jackhole in that manner.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Under 18, doing this at the high school they attend? When the principal could easily sell that their little "protest" could lead to campus unrest?

They have no such rights in this situation. Oh, if mommy and daddy are lawyers, they might make some noise, but that won't last. Don't want colleges to recognize their names for this reason.

3. RickStain

Yes, it should still fall under their rights in that scenario. Notice I said *should*, not that it would hold up in court.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, if wearing a flag shirt, or showing pride in your country or nationality can lead to unrest in a school, then ban every celebration.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Next: Better not wear anything featuring a Union Jack on St. Patty's Day, boyo. ::)

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it was one kid, hey it's on him. When it's a group of kids, they are just spoiling for trouble. The asst. principal probably saved them from an ass beating.

Would the flag supporters feel the same way about a group of black kids all wearing gang colors on Gang Friday?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A lot of things "should" happen, but they don't.

I'm sure our legal experts will be along to correct me, but kids under 18 have a distinct lack of "rights!!!" as we know them.

Nothing wrong with a school administrator saying "Oh, you did this just to be dicks and provoke trouble, huh? Well, I'll have none of that here."

It's not the flag. It's the intent. "Hey, we could really piss off a bunch of people if we dressed this way!! Whoooo!"

You guys want to focus on the flag itself and say "Oh, no!! Their RIGHTS!!! are being infringed upon!!!! They could wear those shirts (and bandannas) ANY other day!! (even if they don't)."

It's not the flag. It's dudes hatching a plan to deliberately stir shit up at their school. Could have been any issue, on any day. It's just that they get to be a cause celebre because of "The FLAG!!!!"

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Did the school announce a policy in advance? If so, the "offenders" have to expect they'll be disciplined, but they don't surrender their right to challenge the policy through the courts.
    If there was no advance notice, the school has even less of a case.

9. Law_Student

Law_Student New Member

I don't believe this is constitutional, but I'm going to bring it up at bowling night here soon, this evening.
    And get back with you.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then maybe the people who would be getting pissed off should be told to suck it up.

The one Mexican-American kid who was quoted said that Americans wouldn't like it if they wore Mexican shirts on the Fourth of July.

Frankly, I wouldn't care what shirt they wore. I'd be concentrating on celebrating my country's holiday, not getting upset because someone else wants to celebrate their country.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Well, I've read enough knee-jerk reaction. I rescind my earlier post.

These school officials are obviously America-hating assholes who want to turn this country into Mexico-north.

That's much more likely than an assistant principal saw a potential volatile situation and was trying to solve it before it escalated.

12. RickStain

You seem to be responding to posts that nobody is making.

Draft saved Draft deleted