1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School T-Shirt Wars, Part MCXLVI: Kids can't wear U.S. flag shirts on May 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, May 6, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Five kids sent home, threatened with suspension if they went back to class for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo in California. Vice principal was worried that fights would break out because Mexican students would be offended:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

To me, just like the kid wearing the Colts jersey in the Louisiana classroom on Saints Day, either allow all the kids to wear what they want, or ban them all from wearing American or Mexican clothing. Don't discriminate, one way or another.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This country is headed in a very bad direction...

It's wrong to tell these kids what to wear and what not to wear, but what is worse is the fear that wearing this would start fights.

Thanks Arizona.
    Thanks GOP.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think the fear is that Mexican Americans would be offended by American flag T-shirts and bandannas. I think the issue is that the white kids were being provocative by getting together as a group and deciding to wear those items that day just to act chippy.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I think it is rather stupid that the students were sent home, I'm certain we all know that these kids, all friends, didn't up and decide that they would all wear American flag clothing for no reason. They wanted to make a statement.

The one kid's American flag shorts are a bathing suit! Come on.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, but who wants to take the time to explore the intricacies of why a decision was made, and who would dare give the school officials the benefit of the doubt by even imagining for a second that there might be a legitimate reason for their actions?

To hell with that. Lots more fun to simply say, "School won't let kids wear American flags," and then fight over it as if it were actually that simple.

I'm so tired of these rhetoric fights.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

American flag bodysuits would be OK, however.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So these boys get together to do something just to be a-holes, and the school calls them on it?

Yeah, that's OK with me. Little shit kids were asking for trouble by wearing those shirts.

I'd ask how this particular conclusion was reached, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a sad display of unintentional comedy.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This appears to be different from the Colts/Louisiana case. The school doesn't appear to have a uniform policy that it was relaxing or anything like that. Every other day, the kids can wear American flag shirts. On May 5, apparently, they can't. That's horrible.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out exactly how attention whores wrapping themselves in the image of the flag is patriotic.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why is wearing an American flag shirt mean that they asking for trouble?

A Mexican-American can wear a Mexican flag shirt 180 days out of the 180-day school year (or whatever number it is). Why should anyone else only be allowed to wear an American flag shirt 179 days out of the 180-day year?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't care if they were trying to make trouble or not. Even given the limited rights of students, there's no way that simply wearing an American flag should be considered so provocative as to become unprotected speech.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wait . . . do these guys have a pattern of wearing these shirts (and the freaking bandannas) with any regularity?

It's not the shirt, it's the intent. They weren't out to show pride in the country they were born in. They were teenagers, out to act like dicks on this particular day.

And before anyone says, "How do you KNOW?!?!?!" Well, I know because I was a teenage boy once. And I don't practice revisionist history regarding what kind of jackhole things I know teenage boys can come up with when they put their heads together.

Draft saved Draft deleted