1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School shooting in Centennial, Colo.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All schools in the Littleton school district are on lockdown after shots were fired at Arapahoe High School, south of Denver. No suspects in custody. 9News says two have been injured and it's an "active shooter situation."

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Isn't Centennial relatively close to Columbine and also the theater shooting in Aurora?
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One day short of the Sandy Hook anniversary.
  4. MileHigh

Columbine is eight miles to the west of Arapahoe High School.

Fox News just said it's in the same school district as Columbine. No, it's not. Arapahoe High School is in the Littleton school district, Columbine is in the Jefferson County school district.

The Aurora theater is probably about 15 miles away to the northeast.
  5. MileHigh

Been to that school more than a handful of times for football and basketball.
  6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure my old boss' daughter goes to that school. Ugh.
  7. Inky_Wretch

8. Inky_Wretch

FWIW ...

@ryanparkerdp 11m
    Students tell me 2 students were shot about 30 minutes ago. Shooter also shot, they say pic.twitter.com/NrK0nZzBzH
  9. MileHigh

Law enforcement: The shooter is dead by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot.
  10. Inky_Wretch

I was watching CNN, which was picking up a Denver station. The Denver anchor said NBC was reporting the shooter was "down" and no longer a threat. CNN quickly dumped out of the fee, the CNN anchor said something about that information not being confirmed.

Then CNN joined the news conference where the PD said the shooter was dead.
  11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Not to sound crass, but this incident is going to make for some unique front pages, especially in the northeast, where I'm sure they have Newtown anniversary stories planned. Glad to hear that neither of the victims were killed, although the reports are that one is in critical condition.
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And since Sandy Hook was on a Friday, this is the one-year anniversary in a way.
Draft saved Draft deleted