1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School sends lesbian to fake prom ...UPDATE: Lawsuit settled for $35,000

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: School that didn't allow lesbian to wear tux hosts fake prom away from real one

Wish we could figure out some way to use the interstate commerce clause as a blunt instrument against these jokers.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: School that didn't allow lesbian to wear tux hosts fake prom away from real one

If the DJ didn't spin exclusively Allman Brothers, Blind Melon, Jimmy Buffett and Sam Cooke (among others) records, then jackpot.

3. dooley_womack1

Re: School that didn't allow lesbian to wear tux hosts fake prom away from real

I so wish I got that joke

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That'd be an awesome name for a Runaways-esque band.

Paging Kim Fowley.....Mr. Kim Fowley to the white courtesy phone, please.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

William Faulkner and Eudora Welty got it. C'mon.

6. dooley_womack1

Blind Melon was from Indiana; Shannon Hoon was an all-state athlete

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Taxpayers need to be punished over this by being taken for a couple million dollars. Right. Makes perfect sense.

What an amazing message board sentence. Taxpayers don't have anything else to do. They don't have jobs. Or families.

In your world, taxpayers, the ones who actually pay the freight of all this, should be monitoring the town's private proms and should have 'inudated' the school with calls once they detected hijinks. Since they didn't, they now must be punished. Amazing.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

Well, they voted a bunch of morons on the school board so they are responsible.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Blind Melon guitarist Rogers Stevens, bassist Brad Smith and drummer Glen Graham are all from West Point, Mississippi.

Guitarist Christopher Thorn is from Pennsylvania. Shannon Hoon was in fact from Indiana (Lafayette, the same town as Axl Rose).

But the band formed in L.A. There were a California band if anything.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Exactly, neither consciences nor responsibilities are relieved because your representative did something abhorrent. The elected officials, regardless of the status which they endeavor to avail themselves, are merely servants of the people. The master is responsible for the foreseeable calamities of the servant. And the appropriate inference is these school board members and employees are actually fulfilling the the will of the majority in marginalizing and inflicting distress upon these children for the mere fact they are different.

Standard operating procedure from the heterosexual christian right, they don't need to fly planes into buildings, they are killing innocent people everyday with the death of a thousand cuts.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Those kids who went to the school prom have parents, some of whom, it can be assumed, are taxpayers.

Considering that the girl had already filed a lawsuit, and had the ACLU involved, as well as the media watching them, shouldn't it have dawned on someone, either in the school, or one of the parents, to tell the school, "Um, maybe this isn't such a good idea?"

Instead, they thought they were being smart. Congrats. You put one over on an 18-year-old girl (or however old she is) who merely wanted to wear something that, while unusual for her gender, was something that is already deemed appropriate for some members of her class and to bring the person she cares about as a date.

Yeah, it sucks for the little old lady who pays taxes even though her kids have been out of the school system for 40 years. But you know what? If those taxpayers are so upset that they now have to pay for their school's stupidity, then they should go to the next meeting and ream out whoever was responsible for this.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Seriously, I don't remember anyone ever asking me what I was going to wear to the prom. Nor any of the girls in my classes.

Hell, I went stag to my junior prom, and me and some other guys wore shorts, tennis shoes and ties.

Draft saved Draft deleted