1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School resource officer charged with child neglect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 4, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Scot Peterson, school resource officer during Parkland shooting, faces 11 charges - CNN

And perjury, etc.

What says the board here? If the guy has a gun and a badge and he's the school resource officer, is he duty-bound to challenge a shooter?
    All I can say is that cops are gunning down black kids because they think a cell phone or a hoagie looks like a gun, or the suspect made "threatening" moves or gestures but this guy couldn't engage the Parkland shooter?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you're an armed officer, and you wouldn't use your firearm to challenge the shooter and save lives, then what the fuck are you there for?

That being said, he shouldn't be charged with anything. He should just lose his job.

EDIT: I'd like to revise and extend my earlier remarks. He absolutely should be charged with perjury, if true.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He most certainly should be charged. He's there to protect the students. His lack of action was shameful.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is an instance where I understand the moral outrage but holding him criminally culpable seems a stretch. I don’t feel comfortable with that. I think he was a total failure but is that criminal?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Since posting this I read a legal opinion on a message board that said by Florida law, to prove child negligence, he would have to be defined as a caregiver (parent, guardian, teacher, daycare operator, etc.). Sounds like this will be quite the legal fight if he's got a good lawyer.
    I keep waffling on this. He's definitely a pussy. But 20 years in jail? Not sure.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Since this happened, I've wondered what his training was. Was he trained to go toward the gunfire in such a case? How well was he trained?

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not very well, it seems.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, you'd like to think he had more training in how to fire weapons than the shooter.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's with guys named Scot(t) Petersen?

Batman, HanSenSE and Fred siegle like this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is where I'm leaning too. Are we going to get to a point where with every mass shooting we try to place guilt on someone nearby with a gun who didn't use it? I know that's not quite what this was, this was a school resource officer (presumably) trained for these exact moments and then didn't do his job, but still. It's like instead of trying to fix the real problem, this will be a new path.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They're just trying to humiliate the guy. Well, mission accomplished. Sending him to jail for 97 years? I get that these people are experiencing extreme grief, but a lot of their anger seems misdirected.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking. What is that now, three infamous people with that name?

Draft saved Draft deleted