1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School PR job in metro Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I don't think getting Billy's name in for an infield single will fall under that job.
    Getting Billy's name to the paper for getting a HOPE Grant to North Metro Tech ... maybe so.
    It's not that bad an area, IIRC. Canton's a haul from just about everywhere, but Woodstock and Roswell aren't too far away for residential options. Breathing Hard might be a little out of the reach.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Jobs like these are why my PR friends like to make fun of reporting salaries.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And 95 percent of the time they're right.

But when your neighborly school district PR flak is on camera after someone has shot up the local high school or gets woken at 3 a.m. with news of a teacher's prostitution arrest ... well, I wouldn't want that gig then. There is a reason those folks are paid well; they're the first line of defense.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

OK, about this line:
    "Not every applicant will receive an interview and only those selected for an interview will be notified. "
    How many jobs posted on here would be saved of a lot of criticism on this board if they would just add this line to their ad?

Also, $95-$120? I'll publicly defend graduations at a church for that pay.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The job security in Canton is better than most newspapers.

6. johann

johann Guest

In SJ all the shots are long. Is it appropriate to start a "Other Options in Writing OR Sports" for SJ wannabes" thread?

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I live in Canton. Anyone interested can PM me for info about the area. For what it's worth, I live 38 miles from downtown Atlanta, so it's not quite the 50 miles someone had mentioned earlier.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Depends upon what part of Canton you're in. If you're down near the Holly Springs area (Sequoyah HS), you're closer to the 38 you mention. If you're up near where the Cherokee County Schools offices are in downtown Canton, it's going to be closer to the 50 I mentioned.

Downtown Canton is, in fact, roughly 50 miles from downtown Atlanta. But, as I said, you could live further south -- perhaps where you are -- and be closer than that. You'd be working close to 50 away.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I do live rather close to Sequoyah, but their office in downtown Canton to Philips Arena in downtown Atlanta is 39.5 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=111+Academy+Street+canton,+ga&daddr=Philips+Arena,+Philips+Drive,+Atlanta,+GA&hl=en&geocode=FSRlCgIdSML2-imxsVdZu2X1iDFeopCtViAnYw%3BFWQaAwIdtz34-iG6qucVekcLzw&mra=ls&sll=33.958168,-84.472956&sspn=0.635599,1.234589&ie=UTF8&ll=33.998027,-84.476624&spn=0.635301,1.234589&z=10

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Well, Jack, I was clearly wrong. I used MapQuest, and perhaps I typed something in wrong somewhere.

40 miles, it is. Thanks for the correction.

11. This is the worst argument I have ever seen on this board. For shame, people.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Oh yeah, well my laser guided gps says it's 41.2 miles! Lol.

With traffic, 40 miles can seem like 80 in atlanta.

Draft saved Draft deleted