1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School PR job in metro Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 25, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This was forwarded to me by a friend of a friend. I know, it's not sports journo, but someone posted on another thread about things you can do in the outside world and, well, the salary is impressive. Maybe a longshot for people on here, but still.

Director of Public Information,
    Communications and Partnerships

Reports To: Superintendent of Schools

Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in communications/media, journalism,
    public relations or related field.
    Five years of progressively more responsible experience in
    the community relations field
    Knowledge of communications/media, journalism or
    public/community relations.

Job Goal: Continue development and promotion of internal and
    external public and community relations information
    systems for the District. Maintain positive community
    relations with area businesses, community leaders, parents
    and other members of educational committees. Assist the
    district in establishing and maintaining strong business
    partnerships as it relates to the District’s Major System
    Priorities.

Employment Terms: 12 months

Salary: $95,000 - $120,000

All interested applicants must send a letter of interest and resume to the Personnel Department.
    All applicants outside the system must have an application on file before submitting a letter of
    interest and resume. Vacancy notice will remain active until February 7, 2011.

Not every applicant will receive an interview and only those selected for an interview will be notified.

Cherokee County School District
    C/o Personnel Department
    P.O. Box 769
    Canton, GA 30114
    (770) 479-1871 personnel@cherokee.k12.ga.us

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

A note: Canton is somewhat loosely called "metro Atlanta," as it's a good 18 miles or so up I-575, which is 14 miles or so north of 285, which is 10 miles north of midtown Atlanta. So you're roughly 50 miles north of what's actually "Atlanta," for what it's worth. Obviously, you could live further south and commute. But the traffic on 75/285/575 can get awful. This is just to say, don't think you'll be living in the city and working here. As long as you're cool with that, go for it. Pay's pretty nice.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I think they're the system getting blasted for holding graduation at a local church. Cause it's cheaper and holds 5000 people.

Have fun with that one.

4. novelist_wannabe

I put metro atlanta because my guess is few outside of Georgia would know where Canton, Georgia, is. But your points stand.

And I believe bydesign's right. It'd be interesting to know what the connection between this opening and that situation is.

5. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I graduated at a church as well, but in Cobb County instead of Cherokee. I guess things could have changed, but I don't remember there being any uproar about our graduation location.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Cherokee County is not cheap.

7. novelist_wannabe

No, but for $95k, you can do more than muddle through ...

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Sure. And that's perfectly valid. Just wanted to point out that the term "metro Atlanta" may not mean what some people are going to think it means. I wouldn't want to live in or near Canton. But as long as people go into applying for this with as much information as they can have, more power to them.

9. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

At that salary there will be a line stretching into downtown Atlanta.

10. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

That's big-time jack. Bet the parents come down on you for not getting Billy's name in the paper for going 1-for-4 with an infield single.

11. novelist_wannabe

OK, the opening is unrelated to the graduation at a church thing. Former occupant of open position got a DUI.

http://woodstock.patch.com/articles/cherokee-schools-spokesman-out-after-dec-17-dui

12. For $95,000 a year, I'd find a way to get Billy's name in the paper seven days a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted