1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'School disciplinary incident ends with teen's suicide'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 23, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Prince Shembo says he was the Notre Dame player in Lizzy Seeberg investigation

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Following this thread to see what #SJParenting advice comes up.

In the past, we heard that it was good to encourage kids to engage in dangerous behavior early because they would learn their lesson quickly. Of course, this is high-level ignorance. If something happens, then you want to try to make it a learning experience, but you don't tell kids to do those things.

Contrary to what some here believe, the problem isn't just the sex. It's the playing of the "video" for others to see/hear. OF COURSE the school had to deal with that issue. The school dealt with it poorly, but the idea that the school was butting into something that didn't concern it is flawed.

The problem is you have bad parents, like many of the dispensers of #SJParenting advice, who don't deal with issues and then the school ends up having to get involved. That may not be the case here, at least according to how the article portrays the parents, but in other situations the school ends up taking care of things by default.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's kind of it. Something of a sexual nature happens between two people. As the investigating authority does its thing (trying to figure out just what happened), one of those people commits suicide. I wonder just how much we can expect of the investigating authority, and I'm definitely reluctant to lay the blame for the death on that authority.

Let's say I overhear something that leads me to think that a sexual assault has occurred. Under both the Clery Act and Title IX, I am a mandatory reporter: I am required to report what I've heard to the designated office/personnel on campus whether the victim wants me to or not. Yet apparently many feel that I (and my university) are responsible for the subsequent actions of the victim (and/or the assailant) even if such actions are in response to other entities exercising their authority.

I don't buy it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure that the parents encouraged him to record him and his girlfriend having sex and playing it for his friends.

5. cisforkoke

I think I addressed that in the very next sentence. Read.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We can most definitely expect that authority to follow established policies regarding the rights of minors, due process, and jurisdiction. And to not threaten said minors with punishments (sex offender registry) they are in no way authorized to administer.

7. cisforkoke

Agree.

However, the school can't just wait while a sex video gets circulated to half the student body. The way this was dealt with is idiotic, but the problem is by no means an isolated one.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ace would.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying that in this case the school was the bad parent? I agree.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, I am quite consistent in telling my kids not to have incriminating evidence lying about, especially on their phones.

11. cisforkoke

I guess. Not sure I want to agree with you on this issue after your dumplings earlier in the thread, but I can see that.

12. cisforkoke

Amusing.

DW was responding to a free-form delusion, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted