1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'School disciplinary incident ends with teen's suicide'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 23, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

School and police in suburban Chicago call 16-year-old into the office to talk to him about reports that he had shared a sex video of him and a classmate. No intention to actually prosecute, it sounds like. Just to scare the shit out of him. (He only had audio, as it turns out.) In the meeting - held without his parents or a lawyer present - they mentioned putting him on the sex offender registry.

Teen leaves the meeting, walks out of the building, heads downtown, and jumps 53 feet to his death. No prior depression or disciplinary issues.

School disciplinary incident ends with a Naperville teen's suicide: 'They scared him to death'

2. Dick Whitman

I remember a similar story a few years ago in BASW about a teen-ager who got in an argument about homework at the kitchen table with his parents, then walked upstairs to his room and killed himself.

Can't wait to have teen-agers.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They really just lost track of him between calling his mom and her getting there to pick him up?

5. Dick Whitman

Yep.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Read this today. Just an awful story.

I was thinking a lot about the role of the school and the police. Many of these stories come from the opposite perspective...the humiliated girl and the shame she goes through. Those stories are very legitimate.

So, did the school and the cops do anything wrong? There is not an easy solution.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think the mention of the sex offender registry is a little harsh, assuming this was typical teen sex. There have been a couple recent incidents where schools brought in the cops to arrest autistic kids. And there was the young kid who got knocked out and left unconscious at school who went home and killed himself. All these instances make the prospect of sending my kids into school each day -- where, in theory, they are protected -- more frightening than usual.

8. Dick Whitman

Mine is in second grade. Boys are incredibly vicious to each other.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

My son is a special-needs student in kindergarten, but he's very in touch with his emotions. Scares the shit out of me.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Girls are worse

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The worst hurts I have received were from other girls.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. It isn't even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted