1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bus shooting, kidnapping in SE Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yodel, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How is this not receiving more coverage? A girl fell down a well in 1987 and CNN was there round the clock. A wingnut kills a guy and takes a kid hostage underground and America goes, "Meh.....what's new with Manti Te'o?...."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Also, as a survivalist he probably has a gas mask.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

A gas mask is a possibility. Also, the body weight disparity between the man and boy could create problems; enough gas for the man might harm or kill the boy.

4. You know I have wondered that too. This has been relatively quiet on a national scale.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As I posted on FB, if the dateline was BFE NY instead of BFE AL they would have been covering it during the Super Bowl and the major anchors would be down at the farm for all the newscasts.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jessica McClure was BFE TX in 1987. It blows my mind that more people give a good Goddam about Ray Lewis using deer antlers than this.

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I am not currently in the US, so I don't know how much coverage is or isn't being given to this story, but I also think it differs from the Jessica McClure story on at least one count. She was trapped in a well, so there was constant progress to report as rescuers inched their way closer to her.
    There is obviously not the same amount of access to the psycho in the bunker, so how many times can a news station come on and say, "They're still in there"? I would think that there is only so much that the police can do at this point (but wait?), and any information released to the news stations would be blabbed all over the airwaves, and probably seen by this freak.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. There's nothing to see and nothing to say.

I believe the guy has a TV. Police aren't going to release any info.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hope the strategy law enforcement is using works. This thing is very disturbing on many fronts.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

StoryfulPro ‏@storyfulpro

ALABAMA:‏ @Honora3340: Loud bang reported at kidnapping scene; CBS reports kidnapper dead, situation over. @syfltra/alabama

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/reports-alabama-hostage-situation-over-boy-unharmed?ref=fpblg

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Finally, some good news.

Draft saved Draft deleted