1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bus shooting, kidnapping in SE Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yodel, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I thought it was a joke at first but I have to admit, I've enjoyed the reporting of the Ricky Stokes network more than anything else I've read about the situation.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can't beat honesty.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sounds like this guy has, shall we say, a history. (The hostage taker, not Rickey Stokes.)

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2013/01/30/police-hostage-taker-in-alabama-standoff-has-anti-america-views/

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What? Mental instability?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that the drama is still ongoing. Incidentally, folk in Dale County are, for the most part, some of the nicest people one could ever meet.

6. dixiehack

Oh this I have to hear.

7. dixiehack

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Story I read on Sunday said that when the guy was building his bunker, a neighbor stopped by to see what was going on. The guy says to the neighbor, "Get down in there and holler so I know if I can hear you or not."

10. Stories I read said he'd stayed in there before for at least eight days.
    So long as he has the kid... there's nothing they can do but wait.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You'd think they could pipe in some odorless sleeping gas to knock them out harmlessly and they could just pull the two of them out.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the science, but after the Russian theater hostage debacle a decade ago it seems like it's not that easy. Although you'd think in this country we'd have something that was more effective than whatever old Soviet stuff it was used in that case.

Draft saved Draft deleted