1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School board sets media rules

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Breckenridge school district sets rules for media

This may seem minor to many of you, but the district refusing microphones on the table, to me, is inexcusable.

Edit: I should add the three-hour rule is, in my eyes, a COMPLETE AND TOTAL violation of Minnesota's open meeting laws. I have NEVER in all my years covering government meetings in this state ever gave notice to a school board, city council or county board that I would be covering the meeting.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's bull. You need to get in their face about that.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

If it were in my coverage area, I would be making their lives so miserable it wouldn't be funny.

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

That's pure crap on the part of the school district.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

They might be able to get away with the microphone deal, but three-hour notice on an open meeting? Utter bullshit. It looks like that Fargo TV station's getting their lawyer on it, and that problem oughta be solved pretty quickly.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Wahpeton Daily News doesn't have anything. I guess that paper doesn't like to report "bad news".

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would get every TV station and reporter and blogger who covers the school board to bring a couple microphones and all put them on their desk the very next meeting.

8. Or, instead of acting vindictive, you could ask for a sit-down with the Superintendent to discuss the situation, and maybe work it out like adults. Then, if that doesn't work, and it is illegal, you can have your paper contact their lawyer.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is nothing to discuss. The school district is 100.00000 percent in the wrong.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

You go to your lawyers and let them start the legal process rolling, then go to the meeting, with microphone.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I do have a bit of background from a discussion with a reporter who has covered Breckenridge School District.

There is no discussion with the superindendent. From the way it was explained to me, it's like a little fiefdom and they do not cooperate with the media - print or broadcast - in any way shape or form. This is what I was told - it's second-hand.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. You're no fun.

I love how people set "rules" for the media as if we are supposed to abide by whatever rules they set.

Some schools, for example, may go crazy if you try to interview a student on campus without getting some form signed.

College teams may come down on you if you try to contact a player or his family without going through the SID. Businesses may prohibit you from talking to customers or employees.

What they don't realize is that we only need to follow these rules if we choose to. Not because they say so.

In this particular case, school board meeting are open and public and the public should be able to hear what these folks are saying. If that means putting a microphone up near the front, they have to live with that or resign their positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted