1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans dictionary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 26, 2010.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Would you rather have your kid look up the definition of oral sex in a dictionary or type it in on Google?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does she assume that everyone has Microsoft Office?

The Powerpoint though is a great way to show what a child can do against a 10-question quiz.

I know parents will do a lot for them (sigh), but it does give a gifted child to show off what they can really do.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I want to state for the record that my anecdote was not meant to draw outside praise so others might brag on my kid for me.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If this happened near my hometown, I would stand outside the school with a bullhorn and, after letting everyone know Santa wasn't real, would proceed to define every dirty word in as graphic terminology as I could think of.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Well, that blows.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Communities should be able to set standards and keep out clearly graphic materials.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right.

And I specifically said that a dictionary should be available.

I know you assume that I'll be on the opposite side of the argument from you on this, but try reading what I wrote before reflexively responding.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nah, it's just good innovative teaching by the teacher. Probably a grade or two early, but still a much better way to show creativly that a student understood the book.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes. Stand by.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Wait ... Santa's not real?
    But I read in a newspaper he was real and Papa said if you see it in THE SUN it's so.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Dictionaries headed back to shelves

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/menifee/article_21f753ca-bd75-5c36-a82e-0b6738535001.html

Draft saved Draft deleted