1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

scholarship sites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 24, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it's been more years than i care to divulge since i needed college financial aid and with no kids of my own, i'm a little out of the loop. does anyone have suggestions from personal experience about scholarship web sites that aren't scams. need the info to help my niece but it's hard to tell what sites are helpful and which are worthless or scams.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Personally, I haven't found any that weren't scams. Her best bet will be to look to the school for scholarships. And regardless of the income level of her or her parents, she will need to fill out the FAFSA. I have not yet heard of a school that isn't going to require it. And do not pay to fill it out. It is free. Under no circumstances should you give up even a penny to fill out and submit the form.

That's my two cents. I work at a community college. PM me if you need more private information.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Tx, before career changing a couple of years ago (elementary ed.), I spent the better part of two decades in financial aid. The aid process is, at best....messy. It also changes, depending on the type (private vs. state) & size of the institution. Please feel free to PM me, I'd be glad to give you a hand.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My daughter's school counselor recommended fastweb.com

The high school probably has a listing, online.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I got tons of scholarships from my high school when I graduated. They gave them away like candy, so that's the first place I would start. If she has decided on a school, talk to that school's financial aid department, and do it quickly. At my undergrad institution, the deadline for school-wide scholarships was February 1. (Also, if she has picked a specialization, check with that department as well to see if they have any scholarships.)

And above all, fill out the FAFSA before March 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted