1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schlereth Shreds the NFL for Fining Hard Hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just for openers, not nearly as often as you might presume. It can be legitimately argued that
    Butkus played the RUN as well/enthusiastically as well as any player who ever played in the league.
    He wasn't nearly as prominent as a guy who tackled receivers, after the catch.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would argue that head shots should be penalized. My problem with all of this is that they're supposed to be illegal already. Enforce the fucking rules that are on the books.

It's not like people are just starting to realize that concussions aren't a good thing. We've known that for awhile. This is nothing more than a PR move by the NFL. They don't give a fuck about the health of the players unless it's going to affect the bottom line.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

4. zagoshe

Which is exactly the way I feel about gun control laws and the silly hysteria on the need to pass more unconstitutional laws controlling guns.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some people just can't resist dragging in politics.

6. zagoshe

Some people just can't resist stalking and adding nothing to the discussion

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He's right, Zag, utterly no reason to bring the gun shit up (and no amendment is absolute)

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What Dooley said. Back on topic, sheesh.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Besides, zag, you're just rehashing a comparison I made earlier. Get your own material!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you're stealing from ygster, you get what you deserve. And tryini to reduce possible brain damage seems a fine aim to me

11. zagoshe

There is quite a parallel between not needing to add rules and not needing to add laws and the fact that new rules and new laws won't and don't solve the problem, particularly when things would be fine if we just enforced existing rules/laws.

More rules/laws do not solve problems.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What part of not allowing politics on this board can you not understand?

Draft saved Draft deleted