1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schlereth Shreds the NFL for Fining Hard Hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 20, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I take it the NFL network isn't considered marketing, nor NFL films.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When NFL's VP of PR Greg Aiello had to issue a public apology earlier in the week, it wasn't for turning on the lights. It was for the products being sold by the NFL Photo Store, ie, photos of violent hits.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes. Stadiums are (mostly) filled and ratings are reaching astronomical levels because of pictures on a website.
    That's some hellacious marketing the NFL is doing.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Video games, TV promos, pictures all emphasize the violence. The rightsholders and licensees are extensions of their marketing arm, too, and their content is subject to league approval.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Haha, the NFL doesn't market itself. That's awesome. Pretty sure bin Laden is getting e-mails from NFL.com and solicitations from DirectTV to purchase the Sunday Ticket.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Feel the same way. Clear that many of the people commenting on these hits have never played the game. Schlereth obviously gets it because he played.

One of his quotes nails it -- " take all the contact away and you end up with soccer".

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Twoback could be the NFL's Baghdad Bob.

Insanity to believe that the NFL doesn't market itself. I guess going to Europe and Mexico isn't about marketing, they have their own network for christ sake. That isn't marketing?

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

And anyone who says that has obviously never played soccer.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hey yo!!!!

[​IMG]

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think that is what Twoback was saying. He was saying that the NFL doesn't really market the extremely violent hits, or at least that it doesn't do it any more. Of course, I think he's wrong there, too, but it's not the same thing.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OOP, I'm pretty sure he is saying more than that

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

And he is wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted