1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schlereth Shreds the NFL for Fining Hard Hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 20, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think the league is more concerned with limiting its liability in any post-career lawsuits.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Let's see what happens.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Holy cow, that was great by Schlereth.

Yet the pessimist in me notices how it was buried in a morning SportsCenter. Let's see a rant like that on Monday Night Countdown or one of ESPN's high-profile NFL shows. Nope, ain't gonna happen from Keyshawn or Ditka or the other flappermouths during their 5-second soundbite cliche answers to everything.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Which is just a refinement of what I said, really.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That advice could apply to ripping Schlereth as well. He is commenting on how things are. If the NFL becomes more consistent in its policies, great. So far, that isn't the case.

I'm still waiting for a policy punishing teams for mishandling concussions. The fact that the NFL did nothing to the Eagles. They had a player try to stagger off the field with a concussion and fail to make it that far, yet they let him return to that very game. Fucking disgraceful.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

I understand this viewpoint, I really do. And I understand that without the financial capital put forth by the owners, the players wouldn't have a league in which to play. More accurately, the league couldn't exist without either, which is why both deserve a seat at the bargaining table.

My main problem with the upcoming labor dispute is that it's going to be played in the media the same way every labor dispute is played in the media: greedy workers/players want more than they already have. And that's ridiculous. The owners aren't saints.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it can. You can rip them for all of the areas they fall short, but why complain about the one area in which they are taking positive steps?

8. outofplace

Because sending a consistent message is important. We're not just talking about the conduct of NFL players here. We are talking about the example they set for players at lower levels. If you give out a few fines, but you still try to "sell" the big hits, Little Johnny is still going to want to take somebody's head off so he can get on SportsCenter someday.

And in Schlereth's opinion, the NFL is going about it the wrong way by penalizing the wrong hits.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The NFL doesn't run SportsCenter.
    If anything, it's closer to the other way around.
    The whole notion that the NFL "markets" this violence. The NFL really doesn't market anything. It simply turns on the lights. When's the last time you saw the NFL take out an ad for anything? Anything?
    So there are a few old videos from NFL Films? Please.
    The League essentially allows the product to market itself, along with the enormous promotion being transacted by its media partners. They do JACKED UP and stuff like that on their own. Can the NFL put its foot down to stop such activity? In some cases, yes.
    Now THAT would be hypocritical.

10. outofplace

Yes, it would, because the league has always marketed itself, or allowed others to sell its product, with the glorified violence.

You think the current NFL players didn't learn watching those videos? Playing those video games? Please. The NFL helped create this problem. If they are going to correct it, they need to do a better job, starting by penalizing teams who don't deal with concussions properly.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Twoback, the idea the NFL doesn't market itself is about the most preposterous notion I've ever seen on this board, no offense intended. The NFL doesn't think about much else BUT marketing 24/7. Or perhaps you haven't heard of NFL Properties?

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

NFL Properties?
    Is that full of violent sweatshirts and ballcaps?

Draft saved Draft deleted