1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schilling announces his retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 23, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm conflicted about the cheating. If players did it not to gain a boost in performance but to maintain their ability to play for a longer period of time and to recover quickly from either the grind of season or to come back quicker from injuries, is it cheating? Especially for pitchers it seems not to improve their performance, just to keep them out there.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Love him or hate him (I'm somewhere in the middle), I think his playoff resume puts him over the top as a Hall of Famer.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a Hall of Famer.

4. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would say over/under is around April 10.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doing something that allows you to perform more often is improving performance. Durability is a factor in a player's success or failure, so breaking the rules to increase it is absolutely cheating.

Imagine if Kerry Wood had found some way to stay healthy more often in his career, be it legal or not. Mark Prior and Rich Harden are other examples. These are guys who have been held back by their inability to stay on the field, not by their ability to perform when they are on it.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd say he's in but it's close. B-R.com lists 3 of his 10 most comparable pitchers as HOFers with a fourth that will be in when he's eligible. He's got more grey and black ink than the average HOFer, and HOF monitor says he's almost certainly in.

I know it's trendy to be a small Hall guy among voters these days, but I think he ends up in.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Someone has been drinking the Peter Gammons Kool Aid. If Schill is an HOFer than so are Kevin Brown and David Wells. Wells has 23 more career wins.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk at all, but to dismiss it completely is short-sighted. One could make a legitimate case for him and I think his postseason resume ('93, '01, '04, '07) could sneak him in.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And 19 points worse on his career ERA+. Schilling is a better candidate than either of those two, and I've seen plenty of worse guys in the hall than them.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Thank god!!!

Now we don't have to listen to his bullshit anymore.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And most of them shouldn't be there. He goes in along side Cone or not at all. (I vote B)

Draft saved Draft deleted