1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schaap and the Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jeremy Schaap is sharp, and his parting shot on the Bears' safety Manning -- suspended for tonight's game because of his Denny's altercation (allegedly called a computer geek a dirty Jew and his buddies beat said computer geek to a pulp) -- was fantastic. I know the moderator's job for this show is John Saunders', but it might be time to give the gig to Schaap, a natural progression since his dad held the moddy's seat for so many years. Also, Bob Ryan was as clean and concise as he's been in any other time I've seen him on the show over the years. Jimmy Roberts was good. That leaves Bill Rhoden ...

I don't think I've ever seen the perfect moddy/quartet on the show because there's always one who makes me cringe. In a perfect world, who would your moddy/quartet be?

2. Jeff_Rake

Jeff_Rake Member

Jason Whitlock
    Scoop Jackson
    Mike Lupica
    Mitch Albom

The over/under on the usage of the word "bojangle" is set at 1643

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

JS is a quality, quality guy. Ridiculously smart and decent. Great instincts. He should do that show every week. John Saunders is an empty vessel, was back in Toronto way back, still is. Just so much happy talk. Yeah, it's fitting that JS would eventually take the helm after his late father's role. (DS was a helluva journalist too, not for a second did Jerry Kramer get Instant Replay pitch perfect with DS just checking the spelling.) But if DS had just been the janitor at Bristol, JS should host The Reporters. Period.

His parting shot--killer.

YHS, etc

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Loopy, Albom, Rhoden, Screamin A....
    Then the bomb drops on the Studio...

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'd pay money for this one. Topics to be covered: Bojangling, Barry Bonds, Whitlock's departure from ESPN, Albom's reprimand for fabricated quotes, Lupica's Napoleon complex, . . .

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I rarely catch this show but Schaap's parting shot was terrific. He summarized the background, made his point about Manning and got in a well-laced and justified dig at golden boy Urlacher ....

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Schaap's a really good guy. Nicest guy in the world. The way he comes off on tv is exactly what he's like in person. Just a cool, intelligent guy. Pops Schaap taught him well.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Manning deserves loads of shit . . . but it's just more NY bitterness about a Bear team that has consistently beaten the Giants in big spots for decades (with the singular exception of '56 . . . ).

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So if it were Kansas City's Whitlock saying it it would be ok?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love Jeremy Schaap since he's grown up on TV ...

... but there's a part of me (and I know it's because I was living there when it happened) that will always remember JS jumping out of the bushes to accost Jim Harrick in a parking lot in Athens, and thinking how slimy that seemed. ... I know, it's over. But that image is ingrained in my head.

11. that was one of the best episodes I've seen in a while, and like everyone else, loved Jeremy's parting shot. So much for Bob Knight's assholean assessment about Jeremy's having a long way to go to be like his dad.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Buck, I'm not sure you can ever out-slimey Harrick...

Draft saved Draft deleted