1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scents or nonscents?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers Royall Mandarin
    Burberry Weekend

Twenty years ago, patchouli oil.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Inky - I can always use my Hoppe's No. 9 solvent, but that just smells good to me. ;D

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

C.O. Bigelow Elixir Green from Bath and Body Works
    Stetson Black
    Activist from the Body Shop, although I'm not sure they make it anymore.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I figure between soap, shampoo, deodorant and cologne there would be too many competing scents, so I forego cologne and try to use un- or very mildly scented products. My one exception is my Maja soap, which reminds my wife of our honeymoon in Spain a long fucking time ago.

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I get a new one just about every Christmas.

Acqua Di Gio
    CK - Eternity
    Ralph Lauren - Romance
    CK - Obsession

Have been my most recent colognes.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

VS - Victoria's Secret
    Drakkar
    Polo Sport

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I failed to mention I also wear a pine needle scent mixed with eau de doe during the winter.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never worn anything more than deodorant, usually Old Spice.

One time a few years ago, I got a late start on a long day in college, so I bagged the shower and just threw rolled on the deodorant and left. While sitting in the newspaper office, in the early afternoon, my ex-girlfriend rested her head on my shoulder and said six words I still echo back to her: "Wow. You smell really good today." I laughed and said, "Really? Because I didn't shower today."

Victory.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

At risk of humiliating myself, I'll admit that I don't wear any scent stuff, not even deodorant. I've always held the probably crackpot theory that if you don't start using it, you'll never need to use it. I don't sweat very much, and even when I do, it's pretty inoffensive. I mean, I'm sure someone would have told me I stink by now, but no one has.

Perhaps importantly, I scrub the shit out of myself (off myself?) with Irish Spring every morning, which could probably take the paint off a porch.

As for aftershave, I use a sweet product called Balls, which doesn't really smell but feels good. Also, it means I can say, "You know, I put some nice warm Balls on my face this morning," and make everybody doubletake.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

None of this stuff costs, like, $25 per drop, does it?

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At an outlet store around my house, my large bottle of "Eternity" from Calvin Klein ran about $50. I think it retails for close to $70. But it's a 100 mL bottle.

Draft saved Draft deleted