1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scent trumps journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bitter mf, Mar 12, 2010.

1. bitter mf

bitter mf New Member

Got a scenario for you. Web hits now drive our business. Hard news does not.

A local team is playing in a state championship on Saturday. A short note about a star player's perfume was written four day after the regional game. The story was the girl guarding the star liked the star's perfume. Her mother called the star's school and got a hold of the AD. She asked him what the star's perfume was because she wanted to get it for her daughter.

Now the story is the TOP story on the Web site. After it got tons of hits from readers who said it was not worth of a story it is now going on 1A for publication. What are you thoughts?
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that's kind of funny.

Weird stuff always does well on the web. Not like TMZ is going to link to a well-written gamer.

I don't think it was worth a "story" but it was worth a note/brite.

It's weird that it apparently was on the web in some fashion and is going into the paper based on web hits, though.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As a Web story, it does sound interesting, and like something that would attract clicks.

Don't know the size of the paper involved, but, as far as this story's value in print, especially for A-1, I'd say that it doesn't really pass the smell test.
  4. bitter mf

bitter mf New Member

Yes, it's funny. But day before the state championship game? Yeah, it should've been written earlier in the week, but it seems embarassing. :mad: It seems like the rules are thrown out every day at this place.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dude, if you let this get to you, you are gonna have a coronary. I would not worry one bit about it running before the state championship.

It's different and funny.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fine note, excellent note actually. It is different and funny.
  9. daemon

daemon Member

In this day and age, you should just be thankful the advertising people didn't get ahold of the manufacturer of the perfume before publication.
  10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I were you, I'd hope multiple papers were running stories on the star's perfume before I started bitching on a message board about how the rules get thrown out every day.
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What was the perfume?
  12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Congratulations. You had a unique and interesting angle that made your story stand out. And you're upset why?
Draft saved Draft deleted