1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scenes from the dentist's office

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Barsuk, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I've been to the dentist probably half-a-dozen times in the last month or so (it was a really long time between visits), and there were more than a couple of times it felt like we were doing a Marathon Man reenactment.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm completely with ya on this one. F them and their damn metal instruments. Let me scratch at their gums with those hooks and see if their gums bleed. See who brushes well, then.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My wife is a dental assistant. She has been bitten by Lucille Ball (the bitch). She confirms that Cher wasn't acting in "Mask." She has had her fingers in the mouths of several Lakers.
    The funniest thing was when her co-worker was dealing with Bruce Springsteen, whom she adored, and during the patient history, she had to ask him if he had ever had VD.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What was his answer?

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Sorry, privacy. You know?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Those are a thing of the past. Most dentists can do the X-Rays digitally now so you don't have that huge metal frame in your mouth while biting down on film. But for some reason you still need the two-ton smock covering your neck, chest, and however far down it goes.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Try having them poke around extensively with that metal thing in your mouth taking measurements of the gum pockets around the teeth (it's like 3-4 measurements per tooth, front and back). That is annoying, but I found out some of my pockets are deeper than they should be, which could require periodontal work.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That almost sounds like grounds for divorce. ;D

I go Friday to have four wisdom teeth and a dead baby tooth pulled. Should be loads of fun.
    I get the feeling, every time I go to the dentist and they look at my snaggle-toothed self, that they envision my head as an ATM. Kind of like those old cartoons where two guys are in a lifeboat and one starts hallucinating that the other is a steak dinner.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just got back from the dentist with the kid.

He did great.

How the dentist pulls teeth.....HOLY SHIT.

One little shot to deaden the nerves...takes out some tools that look like pliers...two little twists...a very slight pull...PLOP....out comes this tooth that looks like it came out of a fucking hippo, not my 7-year old boy.

The pulpotonomy (basically a root canal for kids) was a breeze for him. He's also doped up on Nitrous, numb from head to chin.

Doc looks at him and says, "Man, I know 15-year olds that don't do this well."

I look at him and say, "Man, I know a 33-year old that wouldn't do this well." (me)

Kid is mad because he has to have gauze in his mouth for an hour or so, but other than that, he is fine.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It was just before I met her. She loved James Worthy, fortunately he was still married then.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, that usually stops all married men in the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted