1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scavenger hunt: Get your coach a date

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Last job was with the Lake Washington School District, which sounds like a swell place.

The district also placed Juanita High School baseball head coach Sherman Leach on administrative leave in April for undisclosed reasons. The investigation into Leach’s dismissal has not yet concluded.

Leach was the fourth case that led to an investigation by the district or law enforcement during the 2011-2012 school year.

The first occurred when the husband of a Juanita High School girls’ volleyball coach was allegedly caught spying on members of the team in a bathroom during a sleep over at a family-owned warehouse in Woodinville. Steve C. Meeks was charged in the crime that occurred during a non school-sanctioned event.

In addition, former LWHS boys’ basketball head coach Barry Johnson was charged April 3 with communicating with a minor for immoral purposes. Johnson pleaded not guilty to the gross misdemeanor.

http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/157913115.html

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you don't hire men to teach in high school straight out of college, when do you? To my knowledge, based on the schools I'm familiar with, teachers don't tend to get promoted up to high school. They get promoted by getting more favorable classes. You would end up with only second-career male teachers in high schools.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case at all. People get certified to teach at a certain level and they can teach there immediately. And often do.

Something of a threadjack but I don't think you're correct in how the system works.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think that's what I said. My point was you don't take a man and say, "You can teach middle school until you're deemed old enough to teach high school." What would you like to do with men under the age of 25 and certified to teach at the high school level?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The stoopid is strong with this one. (Just like with the U-Toledo cross country guy.)

You would think anybody who reads the intertoobz these days would know how these things always end up.

Hell, when I coached girls teams 20-25 or so years ago, I made damn sure to EVER avoid any appearance of any improper conduct whatsoever.

That was before the rise of the internets which send these things worldwide within minutes, but I still read enough news stories about creepy coaches being led off in cuffs I made sure to steer clear of it.

If I am among the investigator digging into this case, one of the first things I ask is, "how was it that less than six days after this dude takes over as coach, he feels comfortable in asking his players to fix him up with chicks? (Or they decide to do it on their own?)"

I mean, if you are meeting with your new team and establishing rapport with your new players, is one of the things you mention in your first two or three days of practice, "I gotta get my hands on some young stuff. Any of you girls think you can fix me up??"

6. LongTimeListener

Let somebody else hire them until they're 26.

Anyway I don't think we're talking about teachers, who would have had tons of education and training and been told specifically about the illegality of sampling the wares. (In most cases, the schooling required to get a master's and be qualified to teach high school would take you up close to the 25 age anyway.) These are also people whose entire career would be hanging over them if they violated the cardinal rule.

In this case, and a lot of similar ones of this vein, we're talking about a coach who isn't a school district employee except for to coach this team. Much less accountability.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, most states require coaches to also be teachers, and even if they're coaches they are school district employees. The accountability is the same.

8. LongTimeListener

1) You're wrong. This is not a requirement. It sounds like this coach, for instance, was not a teacher. Very common situation nowadays.

2) They are accountable to the degree that they want to build a career as a part-time high school coach. That career being ruined is not quite the incentive that preserving a potential 40-year teaching career would be.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd say over half the coaches at my kid's hs are not teachers.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd never heard of any requirement that coaches be school district employees. I think it helps because many people in the private sector can't get off work by 3 p.m. for practice. And I'm sure it's encouraged that if you can find a teacher who would be a good volleyball coach, they get the job. But my school was mixed on this, as well. Maybe more like 70 percent teachers and other school employees, 30 percent not.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're still school district employees though.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Anyone who coaches a school sports team and gets paid is a school district employee. But I'm telling you my high school had coaches whose full-time jobs were for banks and stores and even one guy who worked for a law firm and was an assistant football coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted