1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scary thought about the next crop of young journalists...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Like this is new. Get me numbers from the old days and compare; I bet it's equal.

2. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

To me, the good kids today are better than the good kids from 20 years ago -- better at tone, observational detail, just more sophisticated. At the same time, the hack kids are worse than they used to be, just bad with the language.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

High school is complete bullshit. There's no bigger waste of time on God's green earth. But there's something troubling about being so cavalierly selective in what you can cheat.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm (surprisingly) going against the grain on this one, but I NEVER made shit up for J-school classes. Seemed a stupid thing to do, considering you're supposed to be learning how to do it for real, and all.

There were a couple of times I would have liked to make something up, because I felt like a jackass calling busy people to interview them for something that would never be published. But I just couldn't do it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was the same way... More than once I pissed a few people off who sat for an interview only to ask later, "So when is this running?"

"Oh, it's just for a class..."

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yeah, I was the same as Barsuk and Mizzou in that I wouldn't make up stuff, and if I didn't get callbacks — and sometimes I wonder how j-schoolers do with their schedules and the fact that no one wants to talk to them — I'd just run with what I had, even if it meant taking a hit on an assignment, that's reality.

I can't think of how many people I knew in j-school who would call friends or make up sources for school assignments. I do think a lot of them knew better when it came to actual work, but it's a slippery slope really.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm 11 years out of college and I should save this for my stock smartass answer for next time someone asks me.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What did your friend do to the six students?

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I did the student paper/j-school double-duty, but I found a way to get both done at the same time. The paper expected me to keep three or so features as "back-ups." If my story fell through or if someone else's story fell through, they would have something to fill the hole in the paper with.
    So whenever I got an assignment, I made calls identifying myself as "Appgrad05 from Daily Shitrag ..." and got what I needed. Then it just went in my file of back-ups. When I had to do a news story, I'd dump it or let the paper use it as an online-exclusive.
    My professors thought it was great that I was putting so much work into my stories for their class, and my editors thought I was a godsend.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Scarier thought (to me ...) they're not much older than my oldest niece.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He wasn't allowed to do anything other than give them Fs for the assignment. Four of them were allowed to drop the class... Apparently, the dean was pissed at my buddy for checking out the stories, which obviously speaks volumes about the J-school...

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I never made anything up for the classes or for the student paper. I had an editor who thought I did cause I got quotes that were more than the regular coach bullshit. I just told him you have to ask the right questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted