1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scariest Apocalypse/Nuclear War Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scribbled_Notz, Nov 25, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not a big horror film fan. Do they do stuff like that often?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That movie rules. It shows a woman pissing down the leg of her pants when she sees the first mushroom cloud. People eat a raw lamb in a field.

Only the "Land of Confusion" video by Genesis is more frightening.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, that was one trippy video.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Three pages and no mention of "Sum of all Fears"? Although the world didn't end, it damn near came to it and it was by far the most realistic I've seen in terms of how it could happen, except instead of Neo-Nazis – as in the movie – chances are it would be Islamic extremists – As I've been told it is so in the book. Maybe not the most scary movie, but maybe sobering is the right word.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I knew Dom spilled the beans on how to down the bombers, but I also thought he was the one early on who had to switch out the defective computer part, and when he slammed the new part in, the computer signaled the planes to attack.

Have it on DVR, may need to review it tonight.

6. statrat

statrat Member

The book is much better than the movie, but if you want a good time, listen to Clancy rip Phil Alden Robinson (the director) to shreds in the DVD commentary.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sum of All Fears was better when it was By Dawn's Early Light.

Not exactly the same concept. But similar.

8. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

"Threads" Scariest ... movie ... EVER!

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Am I th only one getting a "Young Communists League" ad on this thread, that if anything I find scary.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not gettiing that one, but I'm getting an ad for the book "Why Mommy is a Democrat"

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The movie completely neutered the book. Didn't want to offend any Islamic extremists, so Neo-Nazis were subsituted as the villians. Yeah, the world is just crawling with nuclear-armed Neo-Nazis.

Fucking around with the storyline to put Jack Ryan in the middle of the nuclear explosion, etc. also really fucked the whole thing up.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Freelance - great call on Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Draft saved Draft deleted