1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scariest Apocalypse/Nuclear War Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scribbled_Notz, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Fail-Safe also includes Dom DeLuise, who was the NORAD peeon who caused the fuck up, and Sorrell Booke, whose more famously known for...

Class?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Boss Hogg was more than just a homespun sheriff, he had nuclear capabilities.

Wasn't Larry Hagman quite prominent as well?

3. Freelance Hack

Yep. He was the mild-mannered translator. I think this was just before his stint on "I Dream of Jeanie."

4. Bubbler

One movie that hasn't been mentioned, I suppose since it takes place in the hours before a nuclear holocaust -- Miracle Mile.

Great flick.

5. Freelance Hack

BYH mentioned it a while back. I wasn't all that impressed with the movie.

There's another bad one out there that deals with a cheating President who gets kidnapped by a Taiwan businessman to start WWIII with China. It's so realistic it stars Maria Conchita Alonzo as the VP pressed into duty.

Can't remember the name. Not sure I want to.

6. Bubbler

Oops. Missed BYH's mention.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Ah, one of my all-time favorite late-night flicks.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucker. Pay attention. :D

Re: Boss Hogg...he died in, I believe, 1994. The NY Times obit headline read "Sorrell Booke Dies, Was Boss Hogg." The news editor at the campus paper cut that out and had it on his clipboard for the next two-plus years.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I wonder why no one has nominated The Postman or Water World yet? </sarcasm>

I was always scared of one of the Nostradamus/End of the World documentaries with Orsen Welles narrating. Not really scared of the scenarios of mass death, but that Welles might eat me.

Although not a game, there's an Xbox game called Shattered Union. Takes place after a nuclear bomb destroys D.C. and you play as one of the seven or eight facts that split the country apart. Sort of like a video game version of Risk, but tons more disturbing.

10. Sorry, Hack. Dom DeLuise played an airman whom the general orders to give info to the Russians on how to take down the American bombers after a colonel cracks up and is unable to do it. Nobody screws up in Fail Safe. A computer glitch sets off the attack.
    My other favorite out-of-place actors -- Larry Hagman as the president's translator (named only "Buck," by the way) and Walter Matthau as the Kissinger figure.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmm...I looked it up on IMDB and couldn't find it. But dammit, I know I've seen it. My dad made me sit through it. I'm going to have to find it, if for no other reason than to ensure I'm not insane.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted