1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scanning in pages.

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by wickedwritah, Jan 4, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

OK, I have hard copies of a couple old broadsheet page designs that I like -- sadly, I lost the electronic versions of these pages, and the paper in question no longer has them on their system, so I'm SOL when it comes to electronic copies.

I want to turn these hard copies into a PDF. Is it possible?

Would somewhere like Kinko's have a scanner big enough to fully capture the page?

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

Not sure about where to find a big scanner. But if you can't, I once took close-up photos of different parts of the page and then combined them back into one in Photoshop and saved it as a PDF that way. Turned out pretty decent if you're just going to show the page for its design and headlines.

3. I was kind of shocked when I went around a couple of years back to get some pages scanned in, and could not find a kinkos or any other print shop with a scanner big enough to scan in newspaper pages. It's not too difficult to san them in in sections, and piece them together in photoshop. Taking actual photos of the pages opens it up to many things not being quite right, plus you have to put lighting into the equation as well.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This reminds me ...

Since I've come across this thread, I've found at least two Kinko's in this area that DO have a massive scanner.

They charge $9.95 per image scanned in. The machine seems to be designed for blueprints and the like.

Problem? Both places wanted me to provide documentation from the newspaper saying I had copyright privileges so that I could turn the scanned-in newspaper page into an image.

If I really wanted to get it that badly, I could probably call IT and ask them to dig up a copy of the page in their archives.

5. jadzia

jadzia New Member

This is the same problem I encountered when I was applying for my current position (and I lived in Pittsburgh at the time, so maybe it was the same store.) Kinkos told me that the only way they could scan the images was with with written permission from a senior company official. Luckily, my sister was working at a copy shop at her university at the time, and she took care of the scanning for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted