1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scam or not a Scam?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 17, 2010.

?

Was it a Scam?

1. Yes, it was a scam

27 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, she needed help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not Sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had the exact same thing happen to me. I barely know the guy but had just seen him a few days earlier, so it was pretty clear it was a scam.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

How about the opposite? I saw a guy walking down a highway the otherday with two 10 gallon gas cans. Turns out his 18 wheeler ran out if fuel 3 miles from the next truck stop. I gave him a lift to the gas station and back to his rig. He gave me 20 for my trouble.

Sometimes, a little faith in people is all you need.

3. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

But he offered a ride to the gas station.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just got a new shipment of Amway vitamins and supplements.
    PM me if you're interested.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Did the guy in the drivers seat look anything like Jesus?

Perhaps it was a test.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I once got hit up for some young guy in a grocery store parking lot, saying he needed money for gas to get home. I brushed him off. I was needing gas myself and watched him and his buddy try a few more folks then drive over to the pumps and start scrounging around for change on the floor.

I felt kind of bad that I didn't believe them so I walked over and gave them $5.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

No, I offered him a ride.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Benefit package is the same, too.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Just yesterday, my friend was the "victim" of a scam... I say victim because I'm not sure of a better word.

Anyways, someone hacked into his GMail account and sent out a mass email to all his contacts saying he had taken a trip to the United Kingdom, and he and his family were robbed at gunpoint and had all their bags stolen, and needed money to get home. It appeared legit, as it was written in decent English and still had his regular email signature at the bottom.

Then, the hacker deleted all of his contacts so my friend couldn't send out a mass email letting him know he was perfectly fine where he lives in NYC. For the final part, the hacker set up a forwarding email so that anybody who responded looking to help could email instructions for, presumably, ways to wire money.

Thankfully, my buddy sent out a mass text and notice on Facebook that he was OK. But at least one mutual friend had already responded to the email looking to help.
    I guess this is the new Nigerian lottery.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. A college friend started chatting me up, then started going into that spiel. I logged off quickly.
    Talked to one of her close friends a couple days later and said "Is so and so in london." When the answer was no, I told her to fire off a text b/c her Facebook was hacked.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hey now, they employ a shit ton of people. No, not the people who sell the stuff pyriamid style, but actually office workers, truck drivers, and all that kind of stuff. Amway is a good company.

Okay rant over.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Couple of years ago I made a quick stop at the 24-hour grocery store after my desk shift ended. Guy in a Chevy Blazer is out front, comes up to me and says he has run out of gas and needs to get home (which was a town about 15 miles away). It's 1 a.m., its not a well-lit parking lot and I am thinking it's better to just give him a few bucks. I pull out my wallet and hand him $4. I hand it to him and he notices that a $20 was also in my wallet. He says its a long drive. I tell him that a gas station is at the front of the parking lot and since gas is $2.50, he has plenty to get home and also get to a gas station in the morning. Last fucking time that happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted